Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who cant handle gutting a deer?

Old 08-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always gut my animals. I can't pass up the tenderloins.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am the one at the hunt club that dumps the gut barrels because it does not bother me. I can not smell very well at all. So to answer the question, I can gut a deer no problem.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by driftrider
I can't believe the nancy boys we got around here. If you're a new hunter I'd help you gut your first deer, with you being "hands-on" for the whole process. After that, I don't care how bad it smells, here's a knife, get to work.

Mike
I'd just want you to tell me and NOT touch it! Just say, *Cut here and be careful not to cut into _______, ______, and/or ________.* I ain't no sissy.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Spike

Its not the best thing in the world to do, but I feel if you hunt and kill it you should clean it. Its your duty that you owe the animal you harvested.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Don't let these guys raz you. The toughest guy I know (and I know some bad hombres, cops and cons alike) blew chunks the first time he started gutting one. I finished it for him. A little tip--puncture the body cavity and let the gases escape before you get down to business.
For me, the smell of a drunk who has wrapped his car around a tree and punctured his guts--WHEW--nothing in the animal world can hold a candle to it.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by newton29
Don't let these guys raz you. The toughest guy I know (and I know some bad hombres, cops and cons alike) blew chunks the first time he started gutting one. I finished it for him. A little tip--puncture the body cavity and let the gases escape before you get down to business.
For me, the smell of a drunk who has wrapped his car around a tree and punctured his guts--WHEW--nothing in the animal world can hold a candle to it.

The true test of a man isn't if the sight and smell of guts makes him hurl, but rather if he's willing to blow chunks and then pick the knife back up and finish the job.

Mike
Old 08-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DannyD
Beezer,
Why do you bury the gut pile?
We have several, and I hope it doesn't increase, coyotes in the area plus dogs and cats that ours and our neighbors. Why leave something to stink up the woods and attract unnecessary attention from other animals when you don't have to? I know the nature part of everything, and it'll dissappear on it's own almost overnight. But, the coyotes, wild dogs, pet dogs and hunting dogs tend to keep away so I see no reason to have them around waiting on a meal.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
All the butcher shops I know would kick you in the nuts and then charge you double if you brought them a deer with the guts still in it. What are they going to do with all the guts? Especially on opening day of gun season when there could be 100 deer in front of yours. It may sit there with the guts in it for 24 hours or more.

I don't mind gutting as long as I keep the smell to a minimum. As mentioned before, get upwind of it.

Coyotes smell worse.
If our processor sees 100 deer on opening day, he'll probably retire. It's no extra charge around here at any processor that I know of.

Last deer I took up there went like this.....Hook it through the ligament in the leg whole in the truck. Lift and weight it, pull out the truck and hose it out. Roll it into the 42 degree skinning room where the it's split and innards fall into a 55gallon trashcan. Head and bottom of the legs are removed and it's hooked up and skinned by using a winch.

This process took less time than it took me to type this response. Last two deer I killed took roughly 20 minutes from the point I started dragging to hanging in a cooler. Again, why bother when I don't have to?
Old 08-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

it doesn't bother me at all . what a bunch of light weights. it is just a part of the hole hunting experience
Old 08-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

The true test of a man isn't if the sight and smell of guts makes him hurl, but rather if he's willing to blow chunks and then pick the knife back up and finish the job.
It's like being sea sick. Puke over the side and get back to fishing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.