Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
South MD - Bucks still fighting! >

South MD - Bucks still fighting!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

South MD - Bucks still fighting!

Old 01-24-2002, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default South MD - Bucks still fighting!

This morning, I went out squirrel hunting for my squirrel jambalaya recipe. (I'm in need of one more squirrel!) Just before sunrise, I heard a monstrous crash of antlers, just once, and these two bucks come running down the hill. I didn't know that bucks were still sparring or fighting with each other. (Makes me wish I'd of had my archery implements with me!)

Anyone hear of this still going on?
Old 01-24-2002, 10:02 AM

Default RE: South MD - Bucks still fighting!

2002,We are all done with our deer season here.It sounds as if your season is still going.I would put that squirrel gun up and go after those bucks.You could always throw a little deer meat in with that stew.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:15 AM

My wife (the Zoologist) says

It is not that uncommon. Males may ‘SPARE’ any time of the year, even after dropping their antlers. Generally it will be less aggressive. Kind of like a boxer working out in the gym. She said, since the winter has been so mild, they have been less focused on foraging then normal. Also, there can be mating activity later in the year. In Ohio it tends to fall toward the end of Feb or the beginning of Mar. Some Does that do not mate successfully in the fall and fawns that where not mature, will go into season then. It can cause aggressive behavior. Lastly, if you are anywhere near a location where they have attempted giving deer birth control. All bets are off!!!

So Pretty, and Smart too….
I think I’ll keep her
Old 01-24-2002, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

buckhunter3, that's just what I was thinking. I was in an "overused" public hunting area that was nevertheless good for squirrels. The last thing I expected to see there was deer! I decided to go "low-pressure" squirrel hunting this morning, but now I wish I'd gone with my first instinct and brought my archery tackle "just in case!"

Our archery season down here extends to the last day of January, so I'm in the home stretch now.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:10 AM

I was going to sit this last weekend out, as it's a 3 hour drive to my property in Dorchester county. Now I'm stoked, and leaving work early to get a head start. Thanks Mizzou, I needed the motivation. I can remember 2 years ago with the spotting scope watching 3 bucks together on Feb 8 on this property.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

Dorchester county, 6ptsika, oooooh, you sound like you got something good going on 6pt.

I chase those little critters too. Where exactly is your place in Dorchester?
Old 01-25-2002, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was out doing some post season scouting last night and watched 2 little guys going at it. They were about 1/3 of a mile away and I could still hear them.

My Updated Page with Colorado 2001 Trip-
www.geocities.com/hfpmad

Old 01-27-2002, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck 6ptsika, and by the way, you'll have to tell us about that name you've chosen for yourself...did you get yourself a sika deer?
Old 01-28-2002, 07:06 AM

Hey fellas, no luck this weekend. Didn't see a thing.
My club is right off Rt50 in linkwood. About 10 minutes outside off Cambridge. We lease about 8-10 farms in the county, but only one real good sika property, it's on Andrews road. I also hunt Fishing Bay WMA and some years Blackwater refuge. I shoot about half whitetails and half sika. Where's your place cyclone?
Old 01-28-2002, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt Blackwater and Fishing Bay, 6pt, public ground. I've been hunting those pesky sikas about 4 years now. I'm starting to catch on. I've missed a few, including a nice 6pt this season. My brother has gotten a few and a buddy got a decent 6 last year.

Man oh man that's good eating.

Ok, maybee lets start a new thread or converse via e-mail. I need to know all you know about them. I'll spill what I think I know too, which ain't much.....

Quick Reply: South MD - Bucks still fighting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.