HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Is he still there?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/300199-he-still-there.html)

trailrider894 08-10-2009 07:17 PM

Is he still there??

Last year i followed every single foot step of a no dought Pope and Young/Boone and Crocket buck on some private land in missouri. To no luck on the last day of the season he showed himself 5 minutes before it became to dark to shoot. But walked out of the field before getting a worthy shot. So my question is. Is he still in the same area as he was last fall??? he was never shot at or disturbed. ?

timbercruiser 08-10-2009 07:22 PM

Bucks range over several hundred acres, so it would be impossible for anybody on here to give an honest answer. Maybe so, maybe not, he might have been killed by a 76 Ford pickup.

trmichels 08-10-2009 07:35 PM

Which is it Boone and Crockett, or Pope and Young??? THe requirements are quite different, about 45 inches as a matter of fact. Typicl for B&C is 170, typical for P&Y is 125 inches - after a drying out period.

Once they reach maturity - bucks generally frequent the same areas year after year, which is why they have what scientists refer to as "annual home range".

IF the buck is not dead and if the habitat is primarily the same, then the buck should be in the same general area. It will be up to you to find out where it is.

God bless,

T.R.

WIbuckchaser 08-10-2009 08:03 PM

I am not sure either because I have been looking for some particular bucks this year that I had on my camera last year and haven't seen a one of them yet. I didn't hear of anybody in the naborhood that got any nice bucks last season.
The only thing that has changed around here since last year is where the corn fields are situated, and I believe that's why I have not had much luck seeing them, last year my three acre field was corn and this year it's new seeding. Those bucks liked the cover they got from the corn.

Anthony T. 08-10-2009 08:33 PM

A change in food sources would ruin everything, or at least change everyrthing. Just find the food and the does this season and if he's around you MIGHT see him.

wis_bow_huntr 08-11-2009 03:24 AM

Ive shot at the same buck Ive been after for 4-5 years and still cant connect with him. He didnt get that big by being stupid, and he should still be around. Mine hasnt left yet lol....but Im hoping he will be sitting in my freezer in the next month or so :)

Colorado Luckydog 08-11-2009 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by wis_bow_huntr (Post 3404945)
Ive shot at the same buck Ive been after for 4-5 years and still cant connect with him. He didnt get that big by being stupid, and he should still be around. Mine hasnt left yet lol....but Im hoping he will be sitting in my freezer in the next month or so :)

You've shot at and missed the same buck 5 years in a row?? You need to learn patience and how to wait for a decent shot or you need to learn how the hell to shoot.

Jimmy S 08-11-2009 06:23 AM

Yes, I would be suprised if he decided to leave his home range. He should stay in that area because it offers what he needs. As long as the food source does not change and the woods remain basically the same, you should again find evidence that he still there.

Of course he may be anywhere at any time and getting a good look/shot at him may be easier said than done.

Good Luck

fishinty 08-11-2009 06:47 AM

Do a lot of scouting and find him ! If you scout hard enough you will find him on your property . If he isn't on your property tham you are out of luck .