HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   First Time Hunter... Anything I should know? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/300184-first-time-hunter-anything-i-should-know.html)

Ava 08-10-2009 05:10 PM

First Time Hunter... Anything I should know?

Hello. As you can see, I'm new here.:wave: I just completed my Hunter Safety Course just yesterday with flying colors! I'm so excited! :woot:

When I grew up, my dad was an avid hunter. He still is but he's slowed down a bit in his age. He took my brothers out with him but I don't ever remember being invited or intrested for that matter, I mean, I didn't beg him to go but he never asked me either.

Well, here I am today, getting ready to buy my first hunting license this Friday and I find myself very excited to embark on this new experience and hopefully a life time of getting in touch with nature and hunting in general.

My dad is taking me for my first time out. We will be going to 2a. I know he will guide me but I was wondering if there is anything I need to know before hand and what to expect on my first day besides that big buck just waiting for me. *wishful thinking* :D

I'm glad to have found this forum. I looked at a few others and this is where I'd like to be. I think I'll just sit back and get comfy and maybe you can teach me a thing or two before I actually get out there. Thanks! :)

hossdaniels 08-10-2009 05:27 PM

Welcome to a great sport.

Practice shooting alot, especially field positions.

Be still in the woods. I heard it too, but be still:)

Try to stay downwind of where you think the deer will come out. They usually dont follow my plans, but being still can save you occasionally when they dont.

Dont buy the gimmicks(cmere deer, deer crack, stump lick, throw&grow, most calls). Save your $ for a extra day off work and in the woods.

Rodngun 08-10-2009 05:34 PM

Be up on all the rules and regs in your area.Treat every gun as if it were loaded.Safety ,safety safety.Try not to fall into the gimmick and gadget syndrome that is running rampant in the hunting world right now..

Ava 08-10-2009 05:43 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I'm looking forward to it!

Definately be still. *check*

It's nice at work because we get mama does and fawns all the time and even have a nice big buck walking around. I've already asked if I could hunt her ground and have permission to do so. I'm looking forward to turkey hunting with my nephew there in the fall and spring.

I do have to get some boots and a hunting suit together. I won't buy the gimmicks though. Thank you.

I do have a question though. Should I wear deoderant on our trip out and wash my hair before I go or should I just let my hair go for a day or two without washing or conditioning to get the smell out. You know, the perfumy fluff stuff... I don't wear perfume but soap/poo/cond./deoderants do have their smells. :eek2:

nchawkeye 08-10-2009 06:08 PM

Honestly, I think the best way to learn to hunt is squirrel hunting with a .22...It teaches you stalking, shooting, woodsmanship...

On the soap thing, Hunters Specialties sells a non scented soap and I switch to an unscented deodorant...There are also sprays that you can spray your clothing with because they will smell like detergent as well...

I've deer hunted over 40 years and will tell you that many products are sold to trick the hunter, not the deer...I camp out every year with some buddies for a week, sometimes go a few days without bathing...If you know what you are doing, the deer won't smell you because you are down wind...

superstrutter 08-10-2009 06:42 PM

Don't always count on the wind. Trust me, it can change direction in a heartbeat. Be as scent free as you possibly can. Scent free detergent and scent free soap-shampoo will help. Go to Walmart and get Arm & Hammer scent free deodorant. It costs a lot less than hunting brand deodorants and is just as good. Brush your teeth with baking soda instead of tooth paste on the morning of your hunt. Is all of this necessary, no, but it will help even the odds.

timbercruiser 08-10-2009 07:18 PM

Enjoy the hunting experience with your father.
Safety, safety, safety.
Remember it is hunting, not killing.
Welcome to the board, lots of great folks on here.

crokit 08-10-2009 07:30 PM

Listen to your fathers advice. As has been stated, you don't need to kill something to enjoy hunting. Not all advice you get from people will be correct. Don't be afraid to learn. Listen to your father. Respect the animals, the resource. Practice safety with a weapon AT ALL TIMES, and lastly, listen to your father and heed his advice.:s4:

DeerandbearhoG 08-10-2009 08:49 PM

Patience, patience,patience. Find some thick brush ,hang your stand and wait , then wait some more. Even in areas loaded w/ deer ,you will more often than not, go many hours and days not seeing anything, but the 3 biggest bucks Ive ever seen in all my years in the woods, I could have killed but didnt, because I either didnt pay attention or I left my stand too early.:violin::)

Good luck this year.

Ava 08-11-2009 02:52 AM

Thanks guys. We're suppose to go to the gun range to shoot in the guns this Sunday. I'd like to go every weekend but I don't think that's possible for my dad but I will ask him what he'll let me hunt with and see if he'll let me borrow the gun and go myself so I can get use to shooting.