Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
First Time Hunter... Anything I should know? >

First Time Hunter... Anything I should know?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Time Hunter... Anything I should know?

Old 08-13-2009, 05:20 AM
Spike

practice practice practice! the first time nerves will get to you but if you can trust your weapon you will be alright. good luck!
Old 08-14-2009, 03:23 AM
Ava
Fork Horn

Thank you all so much for your wonderful tips and expertise! I'll be picking my gun up this Sunday and shooting with dad at the range. He said we'll be sighting it in. I am very excited and will be practicing after work with it clean up til the season opens.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you're on the right path. Practice as much as your budget allows, and do it from field positions, especially offhand (aka standing). If you plan to do any deer drives, where some guys sit and others walk to "drive" the deer to the sitters, then it's real likely that you'll get only quick shots at already spooky deer, maybe even walking/running shots at very close range, so you won't have time to find a tree or fencepost to steady the gun. Practice shooting an 8" paper plate standing. At whatever range you can reliably put all five shots into the plate is the max range to shoot while hunting. This helps make sure you only take shots that you'd be confident you're going to hit vitals. The quickest, cleanest kill possible is the ethical responsibility of all hunters. If you discipline yourself to take only shots you know you can make and not to take iffy shots, you'll not only be more successful, but you won't get the sinking gut feeling when you lose one. Trust me, it sucks to not find a deer after making what appeared to be a good shot. That's why I don't bowhunt anymore.

Mike
Old 08-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

Yeah, I hear ya. I'd rather miss it than not be able to kill it. I too want the good, clean, fast kill, I'd definately lose sleep over maiming it. I'm just not up for pot shots. Hey, that's great advice with the paper plates too. Cheap... I like it!

I get to site the gun in this week end and then someone will have to pry it outta my hands.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Spike

Cool

Originally Posted by Ava
Thanks guys. We're suppose to go to the gun range to shoot in the guns this Sunday. I'd like to go every weekend but I don't think that's possible for my dad but I will ask him what he'll let me hunt with and see if he'll let me borrow the gun and go myself so I can get use to shooting.
my opinoin is descent spray like everyone else said used oderless deoderent
Old 08-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Spike

Since Ava is getting so much good advise here I thought I would throw my question out, maybe it will help him as well.

Has anyone had any expirence hunting with BDU's? I have my old air force uniforms and would like to be able to use them instead of having to buy some new camo. Not sure if it matters or not, but I will be hunting in central and south east ohio.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your utilities (that's what we called them in the Marine Corp, because they are hardly a "dress uniform" ) should be fine. If you're gun hunting, though, I would strongly suggest, even if it's not required, that you wear blaze orange, which makes camo really moot. I wear brown coveralls and coat with my blaze orange vest and hat/cap when it's cold. And when it's warm I'll wear jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt (again with orange vest). I've shot deer from 10 yards and had deer closer without using camo.

Mike
Old 08-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ArroganceFan
Since Ava is getting so much good advise here I thought I would throw my question out, maybe it will help him as well.
Her It's okay.

Been thinking about this myself as I need to get something to keep me warm soon too.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

remember to have fun!
Old 08-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ava
Thank you for your response Robert. I have been thinking about what I will be needing and will start gathering some supplies in the next few weeks. Toilet paper will be at the top of the list as will a whistle if I do get lost. <I'd like to carry it even if I don't need it> I am also going to look into a compass and learn how to read one.

As far as physical fitness, I can walk all day if I had too. I may change my mind if I wore a pair of boots but it's great advice. I'll be buying a pair of boots soon and will be hitting the trails to break them in. *ugh* that's the worst! I'm fortunate that I can get into the woods as they are right in my back yard. I will do that soon. Thanks! I may even spy a few deer too.

As far as navigating, my dad has his sweet spot. It's always the same place as far as I know. I know I'll have to get to know it but I plan on not leaving his side on my first trip out or ever for that matter. My brother will also be there to get us out if *God forbid* something goes wrong with any of us. I'm taking my son for his first experience too. That's if his grades are up to snuff. He didn't get to go last year because of poor grades.

I love my dad so much, even if that buck never came, just the time spent with him is worth more than anything in the world.
Coming from another dad, that is the best thing i've heard so far. Make sure you tell him. My best hunt ever, by far, is the 14 hours i spent with my 12 year old daughter the day she got her first deer ( a little button buck).
You sound very excited and that is a great start. Be safe, listen to dad and have fun. If you get a deer, that's great too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.