Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Time Hunter... Anything I should know?

Old 08-11-2009, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ava: Welcome to the site. There is a lot of helpful information here.

What kind of shape are you in? Most folks start an exercise routine, especially cardio, a few weeks before the season.

The only time you have your finger on the trigger is when you want the gun to go bang.

If you have the opportunity, start hiking. This will help to build your muscles and increase your comfort level while in the woods.

How will you be navigating, GPS, compass? Become familiar with these devices and practice in your backyard or a parking lot. Bring spare batteries if you plan on using the GPS. A notepad and pencil for taking notes of landmarks or other points of interest.

Keep yourself hydrated and warm.

You might want to start making a list now of the things you will want to bring. Ask your dad what he would add or remove from the list. Hunting is a great way for fathers and their children to interact.

Don't forget to add toilet paper to that list

Most importantly have fun. Yes we all want to get a monster buck. But in your case spending quality time with your dad would be the best reward of the trip.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Ava
Fork Horn

Thank you for your response Robert. I have been thinking about what I will be needing and will start gathering some supplies in the next few weeks. Toilet paper will be at the top of the list as will a whistle if I do get lost. <I'd like to carry it even if I don't need it> I am also going to look into a compass and learn how to read one.

As far as physical fitness, I can walk all day if I had too. I may change my mind if I wore a pair of boots but it's great advice. I'll be buying a pair of boots soon and will be hitting the trails to break them in. *ugh* that's the worst! I'm fortunate that I can get into the woods as they are right in my back yard. I will do that soon. Thanks! I may even spy a few deer too.

As far as navigating, my dad has his sweet spot. It's always the same place as far as I know. I know I'll have to get to know it but I plan on not leaving his side on my first trip out or ever for that matter. My brother will also be there to get us out if *God forbid* something goes wrong with any of us. I'm taking my son for his first experience too. That's if his grades are up to snuff. He didn't get to go last year because of poor grades.

I love my dad so much, even if that buck never came, just the time spent with him is worth more than anything in the world.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the carnivore side!! We need more people on our side to fight and stand up for our rights!! Best advice i can give you is for you to get out into the woods and learn all you can. Read all about your game. This site is great for getting other hunters experience you can implement yourself. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
Old 08-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by crokit
Listen to your fathers advice. As has been stated, you don't need to kill something to enjoy hunting. Not all advice you get from people will be correct. Don't be afraid to learn. Listen to your father. Respect the animals, the resource. Practice safety with a weapon AT ALL TIMES, and lastly, listen to your father and heed his advice.
Well said - very well said!
Listen to Dad. He has so much experience and can surely be a big factor in getting you started. IMO, learing from an experienced hunter is the best way to go.

Good Luck!
Old 08-12-2009, 05:00 AM
Spike

Ava what are u hunting with?
Old 08-12-2009, 05:33 AM
Fork Horn

I used to say scouting was everything. That was because I could go deep into a swamp & expect not to see anyone else all day. But nowdays with hunting space at a preimum, it's more crowded. The first boot that hits the woods changes everything. Find a good place with good visibility & put up a tree stand. This will get your odor up off the ground. Use the strap to prevent falling out of the stand and put your finger on the trigger only when you want to shoot.
Do you know where to aim on a deer? If not, read up on it. That is one VERY IMPORTANT aspect that I haven't seen mentioned yet.
And most important, enjoy the time outdoors with your Dad.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by king5
Ava what are u hunting with?
I want to say he said a 243. I hope that's what he said, I can't remember and don't want to make a fool out of myself by saying it's something it's not KWIM? He's not answering his phone right now...

I got my license today. I'm very excited to get that done. It's my first one ever! All doe tags for 2C are sold out. I was gonna try and get one. Oh well, I did fill out for 2 doe tags for 2A though.

As far as shooting the deer, heart/lung/liver is the way to go, right behind the shoulder if broad side. Least that's what the instructors taught us last weekend.

Last edited by Ava; 08-12-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure you dress warmly if the weather dictates. The fastest way to end your hunt is to get unbearably cold and/or wet. Remember that what feels comfortably warm when walking around will feel at least 20 degrees colder when you're sitting. Use the wind to your advantage whenever possible. The "scent killer" sprays seem to work ok, but it's best if the deer don't smell you at all. You don't need to spends hundreds on the "scent lock" lined clothes either. That stuff, IMO, is just a gimmick meant to sell very expensive clothes.

Mike
Old 08-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by aharley1
I used to say scouting was everything. That was because I could go deep into a swamp & expect not to see anyone else all day. But nowdays with hunting space at a preimum, it's more crowded. The first boot that hits the woods changes everything. Find a good place with good visibility & put up a tree stand. This will get your odor up off the ground. Use the strap to prevent falling out of the stand and put your finger on the trigger only when you want to shoot.
Do you know where to aim on a deer? If not, read up on it. That is one VERY IMPORTANT aspect that I haven't seen mentioned yet.
And most important, enjoy the time outdoors with your Dad.
It's probably a .257 Roberts or a .257 Weatherby Mag (opposite ends of the quarter bore spectrum, but both will certainly do the job on deer). There is no .237 caliber. And don't worry about it. You're learning. If you want to really melt your brain, consider that the .38 Special and .357 Magnum cartridges both use the same diameter bullet. Or that the .44 Magnum is actually a 43 caliber (0.429-.430").

Mike

Last edited by driftrider; 08-12-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

Goodluck ! And be safe! Enjoy the time with dad! I know i speak for most of us here. Some day you will wish you had spent more!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.