HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Once in the stand or blind (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/300135-once-stand-blind.html)

RobertSubnet 08-10-2009 07:57 AM

Once in the stand or blind

Do you guys ever eat or drink anything, such as soup or coffee?

nchawkeye 08-10-2009 08:03 AM

Yep.......

RyanJ17059 08-10-2009 08:04 AM

Of course! :D You get hungry sitting out in the cold for 8 hours!
I always have a thermos of coffee, a canteen of water, a couple sandwiches, and a couple handfuls of those little "snack size" candy bars. To tell you the truth, it seems that i ALWAYS have deer walking in just after I pour myself a cup of coffee and it's cold by the time they leave!

NC Buck Slayer 08-10-2009 08:08 AM

yep. then i light a ciggarette

DannyD 08-10-2009 08:21 AM

Usually a turkey sandwich and some trail mix. Sometimes some PBJ. Either way i always bring a good amount of food. Keeps you warm when you stoke that fire.

RobertSubnet 08-10-2009 09:52 AM

then i light a ciggarette
I'm a cigar smoker. I wonder if deer would be attracted to the smell of a burning maduro? :)

aharley1 08-10-2009 10:25 AM

A tree stand/condo trick I learned years ago. Take a funnel & stick it into the end of a piece of garden hose. Run the hose down the tree. Put about a 2-3 ft hole in the ground & bury the end of the hose. Lets you take a leak w/o leaving the stand & buries the odor deep.

nchawkeye 08-10-2009 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet (Post 3404316)
I'm a cigar smoker. I wonder if deer would be attracted to the smell of a burning maduro? :)

If you are set up right, they'll never smell you or the cigar...
If set up wrong, it doesn't matter, maybe the cigar will mask your scent...:biggrin:

You're out there to have fun, do what makes you happy...

If I were going hungry and had to kill for food, I'd probably hunt at night, with a light....:evil:

NC Buck Slayer 08-10-2009 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by aharley1 (Post 3404334)
A tree stand/condo trick I learned years ago. Take a funnel & stick it into the end of a piece of garden hose. Run the hose down the tree. Put about a 2-3 ft hole in the ground & bury the end of the hose. Lets you take a leak w/o leaving the stand & buries the odor deep.

my problem isnt having to pee, but having to take a dump. i dont want to poop in a funnel.

sjsfire 08-10-2009 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet (Post 3404225)
Do you guys ever eat or drink anything, such as soup or coffee?

I always take a few 20oz water bottles out with me and a few snack bars. I don't always eat breakfast. Eat something......it will help you stay warmer when it's cold.

WM Greening 08-10-2009 11:36 AM

I take a thermos of coffee or hot choc. I use hospital urninae to pee. Dump I find a spot away from stand (don't forget t.p. oak leaves are not soft). Ususaly I have a coruole sandwiches plus snack cracker packages.

Mojotex 08-10-2009 11:41 AM

Yep - Usually carry water, couple of "granola" bars or Snickers bars .. maybe an apple or two also. Sometimes, if plannning to stay all day I will carry an MRE or similar product. Depends upon how long I am planning to stay out. Bitter cold - hot chocolate or hot coffee in a small thermos.

crokit 08-10-2009 11:48 AM

Though I used to, many years ago, sit from dark to dark in the stand, I rarely do now, do to some physical issues. When I do, however, I have to have plenty to eat and drink. I literally have to eat all day long. I try to stay away from caffine.

RonPenner 08-10-2009 11:51 AM

thx Buck Slayer, that one made me laugh out loud!!!

Bible_Man 08-10-2009 11:58 AM

With diabetes, it is absolutely necessary that I keep plenty of things with me in the event I need them. Usually a sandwich and some trail mix...always some jerky. Reckon it just gets me in the mood even more. Water and coffee.

RJPOUTDOORS 08-10-2009 01:38 PM

I always carry water and those little candy bars in my pack. During all day sets I take PBJ or fried lunch meat. coffie is a must during cold weather.

RobertSubnet 08-10-2009 01:55 PM

These are all some good ideas, even the hose!

Thanks guys!

superstrutter 08-10-2009 02:22 PM

I'll break the trend here. I don't carry food with me. I usually hunt from first light til about 11 or 12, unless of course I get one earlier. I then get back on the stand about 2 to 3 hours before dark. I think I can make it til 12 to eat. I do usually bring a coke with me when I'm gun hunting. When I'm bow hunting I bring nothing to eat or drink. I guess if I hunted from daylight to dark I would bring something to eat, but that aint happening.

rustynobles 08-10-2009 02:50 PM

think about it indians used smoke to mask their scent so why would smoking be a problem. they were a whole lot more successful than modern hunters. and as far as eating goes i don't think deer are as weary of the smell of food as they are of a sweating human body. (i'm talking september bow season now), and in the winter time you don't sweat so provided you aren't wearing week old clothes i'm pretty sure you're good.

Magic 08-10-2009 05:16 PM

Always a thermos with me. I have pipes in all of my stands. Goes down the pole and into a hole filled with pee gravel.... BTW, I've had bucks make a scrape where I had taken a leak. I read somewhere that it has no human odor....just pee odor??? I don't know, I just read it.

Rodngun 08-10-2009 05:38 PM

Coffee & more coffee & some jerky for later in the day.

Beezer 08-10-2009 05:42 PM

Two Lipton Green Teas, a can of Vanilla Skoal and my Blackberry are all I usually take. I can not be in the woods without a drink of some sort, if I forget to take something with me I may as well leave. I don't really bother with food because I hunt within half mile of my house and can just walk home if I'm really hungry.

Jimmy S 08-11-2009 11:59 AM

I never take any food or drink with me and I hunt from dark 'til dark.
4-5 Tootsie Pops and life is good.

zrexpilot 08-11-2009 02:18 PM

of course I do. I am like a baby, I need food every 2 to 4 hours.
Deer jerky, a deer salami roll, maybe soup in a thermos, granola bars, water, MRE,s are cool. In fact one MRE has enough in it for a whole day. The calories of an MRE are astounding.

tmontgo1 08-11-2009 02:27 PM

ive never been hunting without a thermos of black coffe

isatarak 08-11-2009 09:16 PM

The last couple of years I started taking spiced cider in a thermos instead of coffee. I don't really care for coffee that much. You can buy the spiced cider in packets and mix with hot water. It is really tasty. I usually don't take food because I never hunt all day. I might take some granola bars this year though.

Anthony T. 08-11-2009 09:56 PM

I always take food and drink with me because I never plan a time to leave the stand, It depends on whats happining in the woods whether I leave the stand early or late I never know till I get there. I also smoke in the woods because I dont think deer associate the faint smell of smoke with danger. They smell smoke all the time. Cookouts, brushfires, trash burning, etc. I have had deer come into me plenty of times while smoking, no matter what Im smoking. :)

turkish621 08-12-2009 02:31 AM

Coffee, sandwich, and snack sized candy bars. I also take a 1 ltr of mountain dew. By the time I am done drinking it, I usually fill it back up. You have to be careful though because once you fill it back up it looks like mountain dew again :O