Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Once in the stand or blind

Old 08-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Spike

I take a thermos of coffee or hot choc. I use hospital urninae to pee. Dump I find a spot away from stand (don't forget t.p. oak leaves are not soft). Ususaly I have a coruole sandwiches plus snack cracker packages.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep - Usually carry water, couple of "granola" bars or Snickers bars .. maybe an apple or two also. Sometimes, if plannning to stay all day I will carry an MRE or similar product. Depends upon how long I am planning to stay out. Bitter cold - hot chocolate or hot coffee in a small thermos.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Though I used to, many years ago, sit from dark to dark in the stand, I rarely do now, do to some physical issues. When I do, however, I have to have plenty to eat and drink. I literally have to eat all day long. I try to stay away from caffine.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

thx Buck Slayer, that one made me laugh out loud!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

With diabetes, it is absolutely necessary that I keep plenty of things with me in the event I need them. Usually a sandwich and some trail mix...always some jerky. Reckon it just gets me in the mood even more. Water and coffee.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Typical Buck

I always carry water and those little candy bars in my pack. During all day sets I take PBJ or fried lunch meat. coffie is a must during cold weather.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

These are all some good ideas, even the hose!

Thanks guys!
Old 08-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll break the trend here. I don't carry food with me. I usually hunt from first light til about 11 or 12, unless of course I get one earlier. I then get back on the stand about 2 to 3 hours before dark. I think I can make it til 12 to eat. I do usually bring a coke with me when I'm gun hunting. When I'm bow hunting I bring nothing to eat or drink. I guess if I hunted from daylight to dark I would bring something to eat, but that aint happening.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

think about it indians used smoke to mask their scent so why would smoking be a problem. they were a whole lot more successful than modern hunters. and as far as eating goes i don't think deer are as weary of the smell of food as they are of a sweating human body. (i'm talking september bow season now), and in the winter time you don't sweat so provided you aren't wearing week old clothes i'm pretty sure you're good.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Spike

Always a thermos with me. I have pipes in all of my stands. Goes down the pole and into a hole filled with pee gravel.... BTW, I've had bucks make a scrape where I had taken a leak. I read somewhere that it has no human odor....just pee odor??? I don't know, I just read it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.