Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Just made this thing.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:27 AM
ASK
Spike

It's a good idea..... go ahead dud....

ASK
Old 08-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by superstrutter
Pretty neat idea. Is it pretty stable? Looks like it could move a little. You may want to think about adding a some type of foot platform. Just to keep your feet a little more steady.
the next one i make will have foot pegs.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd imagine that you could get at least $200 out of a shooting bench like that. It looks like it would be just the thing for prairie dog shooters who like to move from town to town.

It's an ingenious idea, but I think that you just made a major mistake by publishing pictures of it on the internet without securing a patent first. I'm guessing it won't be long before a company steals your idea, patents it, and leaves you SOL like the dude who invented roller-blades, and didn't make a dime off his invention because he didn't get a patent.

My suggestions for improvements would be to lengthen the forward part of the table so that one could comfortably use a bipod. If you look at where your front sling swivel is in relation to the table, you'll see that a bipod would be off the table with the shooter in position with the rifle shouldered. Secondly, I'd make the vertical portion a two-piece sliding setup, with a heavy cotter pin (like those used to secure the ball into a receiver hitch) and multiple holes to allow the shooter to adjust the height of the bench for optimum comfort and best shooting form. This would also allow the bench portion to be removed easily from the receiver portion, making mounting and dismounting the bench from the hitch receiver much easier, and making it easier to transport and store when not in use. Thirdly, I'll second the need for a foot rest of some sort. even drilling a 3/4" hole through the horizonal beam and welding in a piece of 3/4" conduit would make a good footrest.

Again, if I were you I'd take down these pictures and call the U.S. Patent Office ASAP. I believe that as long as your patent application is in progress, you still have legal rights to the design and concept.

Mike
Old 08-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by driftrider
I'd imagine that you could get at least $200 out of a shooting bench like that. It looks like it would be just the thing for prairie dog shooters who like to move from town to town.

It's an ingenious idea, but I think that you just made a major mistake by publishing pictures of it on the internet without securing a patent first. I'm guessing it won't be long before a company steals your idea, patents it, and leaves you SOL like the dude who invented roller-blades, and didn't make a dime off his invention because he didn't get a patent.

My suggestions for improvements would be to lengthen the forward part of the table so that one could comfortably use a bipod. If you look at where your front sling swivel is in relation to the table, you'll see that a bipod would be off the table with the shooter in position with the rifle shouldered. Secondly, I'd make the vertical portion a two-piece sliding setup, with a heavy cotter pin (like those used to secure the ball into a receiver hitch) and multiple holes to allow the shooter to adjust the height of the bench for optimum comfort and best shooting form. This would also allow the bench portion to be removed easily from the receiver portion, making mounting and dismounting the bench from the hitch receiver much easier, and making it easier to transport and store when not in use. Thirdly, I'll second the need for a foot rest of some sort. even drilling a 3/4" hole through the horizonal beam and welding in a piece of 3/4" conduit would make a good footrest.

Again, if I were you I'd take down these pictures and call the U.S. Patent Office ASAP. I believe that as long as your patent application is in progress, you still have legal rights to the design and concept.

Mike
those are some good ideas. ive actually though about these as i was making this. the next one will have a bunch of improvements. and i already have an appointment set up with a patent lawyer later this week. i probably should take the pic down.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

I dont know about $200, it would be worth atleast $100, maybe $150 after refinement.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default dont spend alot of money or time

there are similar ones on the market already!
Old 08-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Spike

never saw it but my interest has peaked
Old 08-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

Post cabelas has it

us patent us7152358
Old 08-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by boilermaker85
us patent us7152358
Did you see the picture before he took it down? He's not talking about a portable bench that sits on the ground. I've never seen any shooting bench like the one he designed for sale. His design is nowhere near what's described in U.S. Patent 7152358.

Mike

Last edited by driftrider; 08-10-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

ya i saw it sweet idea. but i looked around and someone beat em to it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.