Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wifes and hunting

Old 08-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default Wifes and hunting

A couple of nights ago a few of my hunting friends and there wifes all got togather for dinner. While talking about hunting a couple of wifes stated they did not like there husbands hunting as much as they do. One guy only hunts one full week a year during gun season and that is it. They then ask my wife what her thoughts where on it. She told them the truth, we have been married for 15 years come this October. She told them that she does not like bugs, snakes and stuff so it was not her cup of tea. While I was off hunting it have her time to do things she liked to do crafts and spending time with her family. She advised them she rather me be out hunting deer then in a bar hunting what ever. She had no problem with me getting up at 4 am instead of coming in at that time. The only things she ask is that I let her know where I'm hunting at and what time I will be home.
This is more of a safty thing for us in case something would happen to me while afield. I know a couple of the guys have had trouble before with home and hunting. They all know that I hunt alot yes it ranks in my top 5 things. While she was telling her side of things I thought about what I do. During hunting season I try to hunt one or two times during the week and almost every weekend. Somethings I do to let her know that I do think about her also during the season. I work 2nd shift and she works days so I always have lunch with her one day a week. On lunch break I always call home and talk with her. On weekends when it is bad weather I spend time doing what she wants to do. After being saved and joining the church I no longer hunt as many Sunday mornings as I once did. I don't hunt on Easter,
Thanksgiving day, Christmas or our annversery. I had never thought about it until now we have always did are own thing to say.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's good for a marriage to get away from each other occasionally and do your thing. That thing of course being hunting or fishing for me. I have been married for 17 years and not once has my wife complained about me being gone hunting, and I'm gone quite a bit. She doesn't hunt and never will. Believe me, I've tried to get her interested. She does love the wild game I cook though.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was understood from the beginning that I would hunt...but she goes with me a good bit too so we still get to spend good quality time together. It is AWESOME to get to take your best friend to enjoy your favorite hobby with.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some of us are lucky. My wife is great. I go pretty much whenever I want as long as I give her time to plan for it. And we have a tradition of me calling just before getting out of cell range and right when I get back into it. I'm usually gone for three nights about 2 or 3 times a year. Sometimes I throw in a overnighter, and she don't bat an eye.

My hunting partner is pretty much the same. We added a third who is in a young marriage with a new baby. He's not in our boat though. He's never sure if he can go when we start planning it. He always has to convince his wife.

But then again, his marriage is new with a new baby. And mine is not. Takes time to come up with those little agreements sometimes.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife also knew from the start but she still does get frustrated every year towards the end of hunting season. I just tell her if shopping season was only 3 months long she would be shopping every free minute she had aswell.
It seems to work or at least sounds pretty good!!
But i do have numerious friends who had their wives leave them and it always seems to coencide with the start of bow season for some reason. Pike
Old 08-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Before we got married hunting is something that we did discuss. My wife loves getting out into nature and since getting married she has passed her hunter safety. We both thought it was a good idea for if she ever chooses to come out hunting and actually hunt (to date she just comes out to enjoy the experience a couple of times a year) so she does the the safety backround. She does enjoy going to the range and shooting also, which I believe is a great idea because she has learnt first hand safe shooting techniques and is able to handle a variety of firearms safely. Our rifle season up here is late Nov to early Dec so it is fairly cold and you have to be dedicated to put up with the long days of minus 30 weather so she mostly comes out with me during ML season when the weather isn't quite as severe. I must say that when I'm getting up at 4 am for rifle season and she gets up to make my lunch it is tuly appreciated (kind of a mussy love thing I suppose....what is love? Getting up before 4 am to make lunch for my husband when he goes out deer hunting). For this I am very lucky
Old 08-10-2009, 02:37 AM
Typical Buck

I am newly married just over 6 months. The wife knew from day one that I hunt and hunt hard. we met a week before the rut so that gave her a good indicator of how much time I spend in the woods. She has taken her hunter safety course and has hunted turkeys and deer with me in the past. I bought her a bow last year and completely hooked it up. This year she hasn't been as interested in shooting and I told her she needs to if she wants to hunt this year. She never gives me grief over hunting but she is losing interest in hunting herself. She has said she would like to go along and film the hunts to watch the deer but she don't want to kill one right now. Maybe once she shoots a turkey she'll be more into it and also once the youngest 2 kids are older she will have more time to hunt. I HOPE.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife and I have hunted together (bow and gun) for over 25 years. It's GREAT...I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:47 AM
Fork Horn

I have been married 17+ years, but I just took up hunting last year. She is relatively accepting of it, although I still have to listen to a few snide remarks such as, 'So, you are going hunting again' when preparing for the next days hunt. She has her own time (and money) sink, horses, so she is not really in a position to complain:-)
Old 08-10-2009, 04:23 AM
Spike

I am getting married in October (the 3rd, first day of archery here in PA, ugh...), and we've been together for a few years already and she is fairly accepting of my hunting activities. The hunting part is OK; she seems to get more annoyed with how often I'm up at the cabin, running the fourwheelers, working on food plots, etc. Oh, and I'm not allowed to display any mounts in the house, so they live at my office. Overall I can't complain about the situation.

Oh... like I said, we're tying the knot in October and have a wonderful 10-day honeymoon trip planned, but is it wrong I'm more excited about deer season this fall?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.