Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best Gutting Knife

Old 08-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I been using the Buck Folding Hunter my dad gave me 30+ years ago. I keep it sharp and it has never failed me. I now have that butt out tool and that makes it real nice for gutting.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I have been doing it like this going on 50 years.......

Make a small cut and use your fore and middle finger under the skin and you can use any Knife as long as it is good and sharp...

Last edited by Rebel Hog; 08-11-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

inch and a half long blade gerber
Old 09-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Rodngun
Buck Zipper. Never need another knife after that.

Sidenote -get the rubber handled one,the wood one gets slick after getting bloody.Also you gotta love a company that has enuff confidence in their product that they offer a " forever" warranty.
We're giving one of these away at OutdoorsmanReview in case anyone is interested. Buck Zipper Hunting Knife Giveaway
Old 09-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fallkniven.That's all I got to say about this.Well maybe not Cabellas also has some very good knives with 3G steel. It's under their name but I believe Buck makes them.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 09-19-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
I use the box cutter to open the stomach ,cut around the penis and anus and cut out the organs. Its also good for making a clean cut around the body, behind the shoulders, when caping for a shoulder mount ,but I think its actually too sharp for skinning. I also keep it in my HSS ,so in an emergency I can cut my tether strap very quickly if I had to.

For skinning and butchering, Ive used and outdoor edge kodi skinner for about 9 years.
I like the Olpha knives as well.. I use these to skin the scent glands the throw away blade is convinient.The adjustable slide is handy when you have to reach way up and cut the trachea and the legiments around the animals throat , so the guts can be pulled out.I can work quickly and efficiently without worrying about slicing into my fingers.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

I've use the case xx changer there about 100 dollars. I could not be more happy with it. It is a quailty made knife, comes with every blade need to do the job. I really like having the saw balde to cut through the pelvis. It makes for a quick and easy gut job!
Old 09-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Banned

I have had several BUCK Knives and I even gave one away to my brother last year because I had too many of them.

Around 1982, when I graduated from High School, I bought my first hunting knife from Kmart for about $15
The name on the sheath is Sharpe. It has a brown wooden laminate handle, chrome blade - about 6 inches long.

I have probably gutted over 200 deer with that knife.

As a matter of fact, my one brother, who has a good job and can afford any knife he wants, also bought a Sharpe knife after he saw what a nice job my knife does.

The stamping on my blade probably says Made In Japan and his says made in China. I usually sharpen my knife one or two times per a season and I use my knife to butcher meat - one or two deer per a year and it has never left me down.

At one time, I had gotten to the point of where I was so good with it that I could gut out a deer in less then 5 minutes and I didn't even take my coat off.

Cut out the bung hole, cut off the scent glands, open the belly from the anus to the throat. Reach inside and cut the windpipe, pull windpipe away from backbone. Cut the skin around the organs and dump the whole works out of the deer. As long as you have a second person to hold the legs open for you - it isn't a hard job when you have a sharp knife that can cut through the rib cage - which exposes the heart and lungs and windpipe.