HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   2009 gear set up help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/299802-2009-gear-set-up-help.html)

jessetjames 08-05-2009 09:39 PM

2009 gear set up help

alright so I'm starting to get my list to buy started. I thought i got it all last year any who i need a decent pair of binos and a range finder so any help there would be great. Also i have all my mossy oak gear from last year butt it is kinda fading like good old mossy oak does, suggestions? I don't really want to buy new camo. (i am going to have to buy new pants as the other ones will only work during early season) also a good pare of gloves would be nice I'm deff getting under armor liner gloves but need some decent gloves to slide them into. also what type of fleece clothing where would u recommend. I'm planning on doing under armor fleece then my camo..... and if i still have enough money left over im going to get a summit viper climber i also need to get a bow holder for up in the tree and then a back pack to put all my crap in haha. im never going to stop spending also i don't want to put a quiver on my bow and last year i just strapped a quiver to a tree. do you guys have any better ideas???

cheers

jessetjames

ps sorry if this is in the wrong place i didn't know where else to put it

crenshaw 08-06-2009 06:36 AM

wow.... sounds like you need a lot of stuff. But i know the feeling, i have a ton of crap but every year no matter what i buy more crap.

Rangefinder/Binos- Id go with Nikon or Busnell products for both, there cheaper and just as effective as the higher end stuff for basic deer hunting. I like the Nikon 550 rangefinder, i have a Leupold RXII myself and think its over priced junk. Also my Leupold Binos suck too. The high end stuff is great if you are using it for long range hunting in adverse conditions, if your are buy the Leica rangefinders, it works well in snow where other rangefinders dont, trust me i know this first hand. And Zeiss Binos, but now your looking at droping alot of dough.

Camo- faded camo is not always bad. works better sometimes. As the researchers are finding out open and lighter patterns seem to be the ticket. I like the new Optifade, NatGear, Realtree AP and Outfitter Camo by Cabelas. Just my opinion though.

Fleece is always good, so is wool. I like windstopper products as well. Anything with that stuff in it will help keep you warm.

Summits are great

Long bow arms that hold your bow are great, my theory the longer the better, and its nicer if it has more joints in it to move it around.

Pine ridge makes a little device that holds your quiver to the tree, just bought one, seems to work ok, i have T5 quiver so its not perfect.

jessetjames 08-06-2009 09:43 AM

im a bow hunter so would the 550 work??? it says its for rifle hunting so does it have some stuff i wouldn't need.

RyanJ17059 08-06-2009 10:17 AM

For bow hunting, a range finder should be the last thing on your list. If you need something to tell you the distance, it's too far! :P

As far as the other stuff you're looking at, Under Armor is always great stuff. I seem to think opposite from you, though, when it comes to the layering of it. I like the lightweight scent-lock stuff as the base layer and then wear a camo outfit that is weather-appropriate. Heavy stuff if it's cold, lighter stuff if it's warm. Archery season is always tough to judge since it can be anywhere from 60 degrees to 30 degrees here!

As was already said, faded camo isn't bad unless the location you're hunting is unnaturally green or something during autumn. Where are you located, by the way? I'm a huge fan of Realtree AP Grey, it blends beautifully into our forests here in central PA, and it's a "faded" sort of color.

Oh, and since you're outfitting yourself with new gear for archery season... I've got plenty of Bow Watches in stock! ;) :-P

crenshaw 08-07-2009 04:05 AM

Well if you are going to get a rangefinder the 550 is perfect for bowhunting. All those rangefinders like the archers choice and Leupolds with the TBR are not very useful for Bowhunting. There kind of a scam, cause that kind of angle stuff is important more so at great distances. There are a lot of false products out there so beware, kind of like scent lok/blocker, it has to be 800 degrees to acitvate carbon,and it will suck in all the smells it can once its exposed, buy more cover scents. I digress A basic rangefinder is the best for bowhunting, and i use a rangefinder for bowhunting because i hunt a lot of deep creek bottoms and it can be tricky to tell the distance, and you owe it to the game to place the best possible shot.