Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Colone

Old 08-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Spike

This is an argument we go through all the time between my father and my uncles. The one uncle who is a very, VERY dedicated bow-hunter believes in the ultimate scent-lock, scent-killer, wash you and your clothes in the special detergents, etc... he also has killed a buck in archery season the last 15 years running. He parks his ATV a mile away from the stand he's going to and creeps his way in. Doesn't use any cover or unnatural scents. He gets on our case if anyone smokes while in their stand (me and my father both tend to puff on a cigar, mostly in rifle season, though). Now, on the other hand, I park my ATV right under my stand. I puff on my cigar. I don't go crazy on scent-killing my clothes in the wash. I have had deer walk right under my stand, come up and sniff my ATV, and just casually mosey around right underneath me without a care in the world.

My conclusion? It depends on your area. In some locations, deer just seem to be "tamer" and less skittish around humans and other "foreign" scents. The deer on our property aren't even scared of the ATV's any more. We'll been riding along and see deer standing along the trail watching us, and only run when we're practically on top of them. We are on the property so much I think they just accept us as neighbors!
Old 08-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

My wife's grandpa sprays a ladies cologne on his boots every hunt. He uses "White Shoulders", he says it smells like honeysuckle and many times deer would follow his trail. He talked me into it once but no results. Probably best to be scent free imo.