HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Picking Acorns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/299396-picking-acorns.html)

nyhunter89 08-01-2009 10:07 AM

Picking Acorns

I have an Oak tree out front of my house and i was wondering if you picked up the fallen acorns and put them out in a pile in the woods, would the deer eat them? I was planning on putting them in front of my camera to see what happens but i wanted to get your opinions on the idea first. Thanks.

Cannonw24 08-01-2009 10:17 AM

great idea and yes it works. we lay tarps under our acorn trees when they start falling so u dont have to pick them up one at a time.. Acorns are higher in protein than corn too

dvallilee 08-01-2009 11:18 AM

Deer love acorns,they prefer the white to the red.Just try both of them and you will know why.The white acorns have a sweet flavor to them.While the red acorns seem kind of bitter.
I see your from NY,so am I.I don't own the oak trees but have permission to rake them up.I rake them onto a tarp and then put them in a large plastic bucket.
I also get apples.Deer from all over will come to your cameras.

crokit 08-01-2009 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by dvallilee (Post 3397457)
Deer love acorns,they prefer the white to the red.Just try both of them and you will know why.The white acorns have a sweet flavor to them.While the red acorns seem kind of bitter.
I see your from NY,so am I.I don't own the oak trees but have permission to rake them up.I rake them onto a tarp and then put them in a large plastic bucket.
I also get apples.Deer from all over will come to your cameras.

You any kin to Mark or Mary from Ithaca?

johnch 08-01-2009 12:39 PM

My brother's inlaws run a yard service
Every fall they power rake lots of yards , to pick up the acorns

They drop off several 55 gallon barrels full of White oak acrons at a time

Around 4 PM I will take a 1/2 full barrel into the woods with the ATV and dump them at different spots
Always close to a tree stand

Normaly by dark the deer have them cleaned up

Of course , a number of times
I am in the tree while the wife drives the ATV home

John

timbercruiser 08-01-2009 01:06 PM

It might sound crazy, but in states that it is illegal to bait, it would probably be considered illegal.

FlDeerman 08-01-2009 01:32 PM

Now that would be a real question Timber,what if he put them under an oak tree?

Centaur 1 08-01-2009 03:42 PM

Has anyone ever tried blending them or chopping in a food processor so it's like acorn rage?

dvallilee 08-01-2009 04:14 PM

Crokit,my name is Dave Vallilee and I'm from Waverly,NY.I have uncles,aunts and cousins who live in Sayre and Athens PA.I'm sure I'm related to them somehow.Vallilee is a very unusual name.

bnbplay 08-01-2009 06:09 PM

I had a buddy of mine also put acorns out instead of corn. It worked great except that bone head picked them up 1 by 1. Whatever works, I guess.
www.strictlywhitetails.com