Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Picking Acorns

Old 08-02-2009, 06:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

If they are the same type acorn it would be hard to prove either way, but if you had white oak acorns under a water oak it would be illegal. I know of a couple of gung-ho game wardens that would make a case if there was any question.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

It worked great except that bone head picked them up 1 by 1. Whatever works, I guess.
I rake them into a pile, then with a snow shovel scoop them up and put into clean plastic trash cans. At home I take a grate from an old grill and place over a regular garbage can. Then I pop open a beverage, turn on some tunes and scoop with a coffee can, cut plastic jug what ever. Most of the sticks,leaves stones etc fall through the grate into the garbage can the rest I hand pick out and then dump into a waiting clean plastic can. I make a trip to my special places once or twice a week and end up with enough acorns to last a season. Plus side is they don't stand out like corn and you can turn what ever tree you hunt from into a prospering oak tree that only you and the deer know about. Funny thing is your tree is still dropping acons in Dec.

Side note* Cover the stored filled can with the grate not a lid. You want the acorns to continue to dry and moisture to evaporate.

Last edited by jerseyhunter; 08-02-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:34 AM
Spike

Used this tactic last year and the deer definitely eat them up. I don't get too crazy with it. Just rake them up and shovel them into a plastic bag then dump them at the spots I hunt. It has helped some. I wouldn't say it has been the deal sealer, but it works.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto - Another "Yes".
Old 08-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

what if you collected them and stored them in a rubbermaid bin with your camo? i would believe it would do the same as an acorn scented spray product i also believe this would be much more effective if you hunted an area thick with oak trees
Old 08-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know in Illinois it would be illegal to put them ANYWHERE
Old 08-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Spike

Wouldnt it just be easier to hunt over an oak tree thats dropping acorns?