Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Texas's 13" inside spread rule? >

Texas's 13" inside spread rule?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Texas's 13" inside spread rule?

Old 08-01-2009, 07:40 AM
Spike

Default Texas's 13" inside spread rule?

The county I hunt in now requires a buck to have a 13 inch inside spread or 1 unbranched antler. This may not sound like a big deal, but when you see heavy antlered 8 and 10pt bucks with 12" spreads year after year its tough.

It seems like we are teaching our kids that if a deer doesn't have big horns then he isn't a trophy. When I was a kid, we were so proud to get a deer. It was an accomplishment, something special! Didn't matter if it was a doe, spike or big buck. I believe in QDM, but allow kids to take that 3 or 4yr old buck without the spread requirement.

Would like to know how all of you feel about this spread requirement?
Old 08-01-2009, 08:41 AM
tf
Spike

Default 13" spread

I too hunt in Tex., my county will be utilizing the new "antler" rule this coming season. I have mixed emotions about it, I like having my freedom to harvest what I want to, but at the same time I also am growing tired seeing small , young, inferior deer that have potential "if" left alone for a couple of years. I'm willing to give it a try and see how it plays out. It may take 4 to 5 years before we can really see a difference. As far as the kids, I say let them harvest a doe, which can easily be done in youth days or the new "doe days", or even a buck using the criteria. Let's give it a chance and hope for the best, we have no choice now anyway. Good luck this season and God bless.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think all states should be like arkansas and have the 3 point rule for kids(3 points on one side is a legal kill)my opinion........i really like this rule
Old 08-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default I'm with you....

I'm with you on this one.....
I hunt in east Texas and we also went to the 13" inside spread rule last year. I passed up a HUGE 9 point this past season season that was a little inside his ears but the rack went straight up and had HEAVY mass. He was obviously an older dear. Sagging belly, thick neck, grey face.....but I didn't shoot because I didn't know if he was a "legal" deer.
I totally understand that the implement the new rule so that people will pass up the little 1 1/2 year old 6 point basket racks and let our bucks grow up develope larger racks, but the inside spread doesn't necessarily dictate how old a deer is.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

in Georgia there are counties with a 15" inside spread rule and or 4 points on one side.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Spike

I like the 3pt or 4pt rule on 1 side, I have several friends that hunt Arkansas with 3pt rule. They have seen tremendous success with the rule and are killing good mature bucks. Just don't like telling my 6 yr old he cant shoot 8pts like the 2 his older brother has on the wall because they aren't 13" wide. Both big heavy bucks but 12.5" wide.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Bad Law!! If it isn't 13", how many do you think will be left in the woods to rot, Instead of paying the fine and community service! A Lot!!
Old 08-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

what a crazy rule???? How do you know if it is 13"? The deer isnt going to let you measure first. I say you will have alot of yote food laying out there.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't normally hunt in Texas but as stated earlier there are some places in Georgia that have a 15" rule. It is not that hard to determine if the buck meets the inch requirements. For the most part you just have to make sure that the antlers are outside of the ears and you will be fine.
I can't say that I have noticed an abundance (or any) of deer being shot that were below these requirements.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:54 AM
Typical Buck

it all comes back the hunt industry and that trophy buck BULL$$$$ that they have been forceing on us for years. to many stupid hunting shows showing the killing of big bucks.

you should be able kill any size animal you want,and i would if it was on my land. teach a kid how to be a good hunter and to use every part of what he kills. then let him grow up hunting and decide if he wants to be a trophy hunter or not. i know plenty of adults that are very happy killing spike and fork horns. that there choice ,they pay to hunt just like me. in my area just about everyone still eats what they kill instead of giving the meat away,most hunt for the food first ,the trophy comes second.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.