HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Question about hunting in the military (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/298794-question-about-hunting-military.html)

BigBuckBlues 07-24-2009 11:08 PM

Question about hunting in the military

Hey guys, new at this site and looking forward to learning from some experts because...Im just dang sho not.Haha.But I need some feedback on some stuff and I preciate any and all I get.I got three passions in life God, my freedom, and being in the outdoors!The majority of time I spend in the outdoors is either hunting or fishing.Ive recently been thinking about joining the Air Force and assuming they want me, Im game.I'm worried about many things from the job assignment, to being deployed to just how bad basic is going to suck, but the one thing I can stop thinking about is...Am I going to be able to hunt if Im stateside!?!I know its relative to the state I'm in and such, but how likely is it that Im going to be able to hunt even if Im in a place where I can?Are you allowed to keep a shotgun/rifle on base?I plan on staying in the barracks.I know here at fort rucker and up yonder at benning they got management area you can hunt on for civilians and I assume active military but I dont know that.Is that typical among bases?If someone could break this down as to how this would work if at all please just holler at me on here.Id greatly appreciate it.

DeerandbearhoG 07-25-2009 04:53 AM

When I was in the army 20 years ago, you were not allowed to keep a gun in the barracks. Im sure some kind of arrangements could be made though to have access to hunting weapons . Many people in the military hunt.

timbercruiser 07-25-2009 05:12 AM

Keeping a firearm on base, especially with the tighter base security, will probably not be allowed. You might check with the on base security offices, maybe Maxwell AFB or Eglin AFB and get their opinion. Welcome to the board to a south Bama hunter.......

SWThomas 07-25-2009 05:39 AM

You're allowed to keep firearms on base. As long as it's registered with the Military Police office. If you live in base housing (married folks) you can keep it there. If you reside in the barracks, you must store it in your units Armory. It's not as bad as people think it is.

As for hunting... Pretty much every base I've been stationed at had decent hunting. I'm in the USMC though and I'm not too sure about the USAF bases. But I would imagine no matter where you get stationed, there should be somewhere within driving distance that you could hunt.

SGT.H 07-25-2009 10:15 AM

I've been in the Air Force for 7years. My first base was out in California at Travis AFB. I was in the dorms for the most part of my time there, so I couldnt have any weapons(this includes guns and bows). I didnt get the chance to do any hunting, which would have been cool because there were blacktail running everywhere, and I will probley never get the chance to kill one again. You can keep a weapon at the armory if you want to, but one thing you got to think about is what are you going to do with a deer if you kill one. YOU only got a refrigerator, so you will need to hook up with someone you work with that hunts, and maybe work out something with them ie: (freezer space, gun storage).

Once you make Senior Airman, you can move off base and get your own place. Thats when it gets easier to hunt. You just got to put in your time and make rank.

Im at Scott AFB now in Illinois. I hunt every weekend that i can. Great bowhunting, and big bucks. I live in base housing since i got married a few years back. I got all my guns and bows at the house with me.

So, i guess the best thing i can tell you is it will be a little rough the first few years, but once you get your own place, you can do whatever you want to do.

Hopefully someone you work with will be a hunter, and can help you out. Most people are willing to help the younger troops if they can.

Good luck with the Air Force, It's been good for me. If you got any questions, you can PM me and I will try to answer them for you.

SGT.H 07-25-2009 10:21 AM

Forgot to mention: Most states will let military buy resident hunting licence. This will make a big difference in most places. Some states like texas are even free for active duty. So take advantage if you get the chance.

SWThomas 07-25-2009 11:17 AM

You could always buy a freezer and keep it in the barracks.

Switchback_XT 07-25-2009 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by BigBuckBlues (Post 3392324)
Hey guys, new at this site and looking forward to learning from some experts because...Im just dang sho not.Haha.But I need some feedback on some stuff and I preciate any and all I get.I got three passions in life God, my freedom, and being in the outdoors!The majority of time I spend in the outdoors is either hunting or fishing.Ive recently been thinking about joining the Air Force and assuming they want me, Im game.I'm worried about many things from the job assignment, to being deployed to just how bad basic is going to suck, but the one thing I can stop thinking about is...Am I going to be able to hunt if Im stateside!?!I know its relative to the state I'm in and such, but how likely is it that Im going to be able to hunt even if Im in a place where I can?Are you allowed to keep a shotgun/rifle on base?I plan on staying in the barracks.I know here at fort rucker and up yonder at benning they got management area you can hunt on for civilians and I assume active military but I dont know that.Is that typical among bases?If someone could break this down as to how this would work if at all please just holler at me on here.Id greatly appreciate it.

Most times the ole Mil. ID card will get you the hook ups. The Mil. gets all kinds of special privileges all the time like getting to buy resident hunting tags or fishing licenses.
I was in the Army so I don't know the Air force Regs. or their stance on it. You will just have to ask when you get to your station or look in Rec. Info Center is all I can think of.

SWThomas 07-25-2009 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Switchback_XT (Post 3392592)
Most times the ole Mil. ID card will get you the hook ups. The Mil. gets all kinds of special privileges all the time like getting to buy resident hunting tags or fishing licenses.
I was in the Army so I don't know the Air force Regs. or their stance on it. You will just have to ask when you get to your station or look in Rec. Info Center is all I can think of.

All the states I have been to don't scrutinize which service someone is in. Military is military as far as they're concerned.