Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ammo opinion

Old 07-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bible Man if you have a problem with the recoil just get a Limb Saver recoil pad and put on the rifle. It will surprise you how much that pad will tame a hard kicking rifle.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first deer I shot with my .270, I was shooting the Remington 150gr shells and the deer acted as if it wasn't even hit. A second round put it down and a third round at close range put it away. Upon skinning the deer and looking at the damage, it was obvious that the bullet didn't expand much if any at all. The deer had what looked like a small puncture wound where thre bullet entered and a slightly larger wound on the exit. I explained to a fellow that was shooting his .270 what had happend and he imediately told me to go to a 130 grain. I did and the following season and most seasons afterwards it's been 1 shot ,1 kill with no tracking involved. I'm sold on the 130 grain loads and it don't matter much whether it's a Remingtom, Federal or Winchester shell just as long as it's a 130 grain and you put it through the boiler room.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

The gun came with a really nice recoil pad. I have used a limbsaver recoil pad on my WBY .300, but have since taken it off because it just catches on my clothing too much. But, the recoil pad that came on this CVA is top quality and seems to be at least as high a quality recoil pad as the limbsaver. Thanks for the input, again.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Switchback_XT
I was not being sarcastic at all. While I was gutting the deer I took a close look at the lungs and hart. I found that the 130 grain cheap bullets out of a 22 inch barrel did all of their expantion in the entrance wound side of the 1st lung they encounter. They then poked a small hole through the rest of the deer.
On any deer I shot with the .270 they ran FAR off, some times to a completly different spread of woods.
Many that I shot but missed the heart were wounded but still out there runin around today.
That is why I say the 150 grain would be his best bet given the choices. If I were to recommend a bullet I would point him twards the Barnes solid slugs. They are the only bullets ever to have 100% weight retention after expansion.
Actually LOOK at the damage your bullets did, and pay close attention to WHERE it did its damage. Just because it poked a hole does not mean its gud enough. those little holes can be covered up by the skin moving. Then you have no blood trail at all and likely no deer at all.
Personally I look for a round designed around 200 grain bullets before I will accept it as a deer round. Then they don't take to many steps after the shot.

Troll alert!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Switchback_XT
I was not being sarcastic at all. While I was gutting the deer I took a close look at the lungs and hart. I found that the 130 grain cheap bullets out of a 22 inch barrel did all of their expantion in the entrance wound side of the 1st lung they encounter. They then poked a small hole through the rest of the deer.
On any deer I shot with the .270 they ran FAR off, some times to a completly different spread of woods.
Many that I shot but missed the heart were wounded but still out there runin around today.
That is why I say the 150 grain would be his best bet given the choices. If I were to recommend a bullet I would point him twards the Barnes solid slugs. They are the only bullets ever to have 100% weight retention after expansion.
Actually LOOK at the damage your bullets did, and pay close attention to WHERE it did its damage. Just because it poked a hole does not mean its gud enough. those little holes can be covered up by the skin moving. Then you have no blood trail at all and likely no deer at all.
Personally I look for a round designed around 200 grain bullets before I will accept it as a deer round. Then they don't take to many steps after the shot.
Sounds like a personal problem to me. I have used and 270 for a few years now and had great success with 130gr Gamekings and 140gr Hornday btsp. I have examined closely the heart and lungs after the shot and you know what? They weren't there, they were blown to pudding. If you can't kill effectivelly with a 270 and a 130 gr. bullet you need to go back to hunting school and there are millions of dead deer out there to prove it.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer are not hard to kill a good cast pullet at 1500 fps will do fine. I say start with sereral different kinds of the cheap rounds in 130 and see if any will shoot to the level of accruacy you like. When you find the one you like go hunt.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Id go with a 150 or 165. 130 is enough but not recomended.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wis_bow_huntr
Id go with a 150 or 165. 130 is enough but not recomended.
Where are you getting this information? I've never heard of 130 grain not being recommended. In my experience the 130 grain has outperformed the 150 grain on drop dead shots. I've killed lots of deer, and I know for a fact the 130 grain will get the job done. I highly recommend the 130 grain over the 150 grain. Don't get me wrong, the 150 grain will do the job also, but for me, the 130 grain works better.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:29 AM
Spike

As far as the wife thing.... I just set my wife up with a brand new savage 243 and 100gr winchester powerpoints and she shot it her very first time this past weekend. Just waiting to see if she shoots more deer than me this season. Was going to get her the 270, but then again only 130gr and higher bullets. Depnds on what she is comfortable shooting. The thing that matters most is that she is comfortable shooting with it. Comfort builds consistency which equals confidence and accuracy. Just waiting for here to put here first one down now!
Old 07-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WoolyBill
As far as the wife thing.... I just set my wife up with a brand new savage 243 and 100gr winchester powerpoints and she shot it her very first time this past weekend. Just waiting to see if she shoots more deer than me this season. Was going to get her the 270, but then again only 130gr and higher bullets. Depnds on what she is comfortable shooting. The thing that matters most is that she is comfortable shooting with it. Comfort builds consistency which equals confidence and accuracy. Just waiting for here to put here first one down now!
I have used a .243 for many many years, I dont own one right now but between me my brother and my father and over 6 decades we put tons of deer on the ground with a .243 100 gr.
It is bad medicine on deer.
Mt father went from a .308 to the .243 back in the 60's because of us kids, well we never looked back and never shot anything else for decades. I only remember one deer my bro lost to a .243, cant tell you where he hit it though.
I never lost one in at least 50 deer in 30 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.