Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Have you ever used a bucks tarsel glands,to get deer to follow you? >

Have you ever used a bucks tarsel glands,to get deer to follow you?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Have you ever used a bucks tarsel glands,to get deer to follow you?

Old 07-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Spike

Default Have you ever used a bucks tarsel glands,to get deer to follow you?

I've used buck tarsel glands that I've cut out myself and I'm friends with a guy who cuts up deer in the fall.I've stopped by his shop and have got fresh glands from him.When I get to my stand I hang them in a tree about 2 feet off the ground.
I've had buck follow me a couple of times.I've had more luck using them than I have using any scent you can buy.
I was wondering if the tufts of hair on a does back leg would work.Has anyone tried it?
Old 07-23-2009, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

from personal experience, i've never witnessed any "luring" scents to work out of numerous attempts. i no longer waste my money on them and concentrate more on scent control. i'd rather have deer think i'm not there than to smell me and another deer. if you spend the time preseason scouting and patterning deer, you won't need to "attract" them. just my 2 cents.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've got 2 frozen in a vacuum sealed bag from a doe I shot last season. Works fine, had a buck sniffing, he could smell her but not find her. Didn't drag it but I had it hung in a tree.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

My uncle swears by them. I don't think he drags them he just hangs them in a tree about 2 - 3 feet off the ground. I have never had any luck with them, but to be honest I really haven't had any luck with any scent lures. Hunting food sources and bedding areas has been more effective for me.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:57 AM
Spike

Yes I have and they work great for me. Top prove a point, 3yrs ago on the opening day of Wis. gun season I had a big 8pt chasing a doe past me at about 250yds. The doe stopped buck the buck would'nt give me a shot so I shot the doe. After field dressing her my wife said it was cold enough so I put it up by my stand. The wife and daughter went to the house to get warm and at about noon the buck came back to were the doe was shot so he finally gave me a shot and when my wife and daughter got back to me they could'nt belive my good fortune. So in closing scent means a lot. deerman
Old 07-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sort of. I keep the "wet" tarsal glands off any bucks I kill and any I can scrounge from my buds' kills. Only those that are really oiled up though. I freeze all but the one I am using. What I do is use the tarsal to rub sapplings and overhanging limbs near or above mock scrapes I make with deer pee I collect as well. Then I hang the tarsal up wind and off to the left side of my set-up, at about 30 to 100 yards away, and in clear view of my stand. I am right handed so it is easier for me to swing to my left. I have had many, many younger bucks and lots of does come to visit these mocl scrapes, and occasionally had bucks come in looking for obviously searching for the "owner" of this scent. It has not happened all that often. Maybe 1-2 times a season. But every time it has been a the more mature bucks and several of those times a very nice shooter. As for "trail", I make a drag-rag using the deer pee I collect. Not so much as an attractant, but in hopes of covering up some of my trail's scent.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes I have and I also take the pee bag out of a doe thats been shot and sprinkle it on my boots and pant legs.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not saying they won't work but tarsal is a recogntion scent, and in conjunction with the urine they place on it during rub-urination, deer can identiy each other as to age, sex, health and probable social status by the odors given of from a tarsal gland.

The scent deer use to follow each other is interdigital scent, from the gland between the hooves of all four legs. It works great, and Wildlife Research has it in a bottle.

God bless,

T.R.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by deerman69
Yes I have and they work great for me. Top prove a point, 3yrs ago on the opening day of Wis. gun season I had a big 8pt chasing a doe past me at about 250yds. The doe stopped buck the buck would'nt give me a shot so I shot the doe. After field dressing her my wife said it was cold enough so I put it up by my stand. The wife and daughter went to the house to get warm and at about noon the buck came back to were the doe was shot so he finally gave me a shot and when my wife and daughter got back to me they could'nt belive my good fortune. So in closing scent means a lot. deerman
That buck came back looking for the hot doe you killed not to the scent!
Old 07-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

3 years ago my cousin and I were hunting a big buck that was living 3 miles from our access spot. After 4 days of hunting he shot the buck which was a real pig (179 gross, 220 Lbs dressed). I helped him gut the buck and got some tarsal scent on my gloves when I held the legs.

He walked back to get the deer cart while I stayed close to the area to keep hunting and keep close to the deer. I had several does come from downwind and walk to within 20 yards of me while I was sitting on the ground looking for their boyfriend. They were tracking me down looking for love....Even when I moved they seemed confused and didn't want to leave. Not sure how the scent of a strange buck would work but that scent sure did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.