Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Have you ever used a bucks tarsel glands,to get deer to follow you? >

Have you ever used a bucks tarsel glands,to get deer to follow you?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Have you ever used a bucks tarsel glands,to get deer to follow you?

Old 07-31-2009, 01:08 AM
Site Buck Guru

I've used tarsal glands in conjunction with Doe-in-heat scent during the rut. However, I used it as a distractant rather than an attractant. I really only use scent to stop deer for a shot. I place it so when the deer stops to smell it, he is looking away from me. Makes for a relaxed, standing shot.

Tarsal scent seems to make the deer curious and doesn't spook them, at least initially!

Last edited by GregH; 07-31-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope never have,I use Tinks smoke sticks during the rut and had great luck for about five or six years.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

my uncle uses them every year from the deer he shot the year before. i might try it this year just to see if they work
Old 08-02-2009, 05:31 AM
JSH
Spike

I take tarsal glands off both doe's and bucks and use them as drags as well as hanging them once I am on stand or intending on sitting for any length of time.
I have watched bucks come in on them as if pulled in on a string.They definitely work.Use rubber gloves when you cut them off,freeze the ones you will not be using right away.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Spike

Yes, I've cut off and used various scent glands, but the fact is.....If he smells you, it's over !!!