Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Warm weather scent control

Old 07-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Spike

I have a set of Savannha's, and I don't even use them until sept. Still too hot for them. Just wear the lightest set of hunting gear you can get your hands on and wash them in scent eliminating soap as well as showering right before you leave for the woods in scent elimating soap as well. I know a guy that has a set of camo shorts and short sleeve shirt that he wears. Therma-cell is definitely required for this. Reguardless what you use; you still need to play the wind to your advantage.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

Also-not a bad idea trying to really take your time walking to the stand in order to prevent overheating and sweating!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen a couple people post that they wear Scent-Lok. I was just wondering if you could explain why you wear it? If you actually do... And what benefit you think it offers you...
Old 07-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Dominant Buck

There is nothing you can do that will elude a deer's nose, this has been scientifically proven time and time again. Stay as comfortable as you can and face the wind.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

My Savannah suit is the lightest piece of camo I had till this year. I bought some kind of leafy gillie suit I'm going to try. Got it after last season from Cabella's on sale. That and the Thermacell and I should be good to go till at least 10 o'clock.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by CamoCop
save your money and practice good scent control, i.e. was clothes in non scented detergent, shower with non scented soaps, use scent eliminator spray and watch the wind.
x2.

But I will also add, wear the lightest clothes you can get away with. they make light-weight clothing for turkey hunting that you can use in Oct.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
I know what they talking about, I was just wondering if anyone ever put any tinks 69 on the regular thermacell pad. Scent control is tough in Florida in September, just sitting there my shirt typically saturates with sweat.
I don't have one, but I do believe Thermacell makes a product called Thermascent. I think its the same appliance, maybe with an add-on pad holder or something that is used for disbursing scent. Not sure if you spray scent on a pad or if they come pre-scented. I remember seeing it at an archery pro shop a while ago but never bothered. I just use the thermacell to lose the flying critters, not to lure in the furry ones.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by appleater25
Also-not a bad idea trying to really take your time walking to the stand in order to prevent overheating and sweating!

this is also a biggie! i have almost passed out from heat exhaustion while walking to my stand during general gun a couple years ago. it was in November and right around 98 degree's with 100% humidity and no wind. i was so misrible that day. bring lots of water and stay hydrated.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

also what i use to do before the Thermacell days, i would just wear light shorts and throw on my Bug Tamer suit over them. this kept me pretty cool and helped against our Florida skeeters. it really cracks me up to watch hunting shows and see these spoiled "professional" hunters talk about how tough it is to hunt in 70 degree weather and it's almost impossible to harvest deer when it's that warm. i want to see them come down here and hunt in 100 degree weather with 95% humidity in November