Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
A Little Something. 9 things wrong with hunting shows >

A Little Something. 9 things wrong with hunting shows

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A Little Something. 9 things wrong with hunting shows

Old 07-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do like Fred Eichler and his show and some of the others that are more informational, like Deer and Deer Hunting.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

[quote=superstrutter;3387818]I agree 100%[/quote
Love it!!!!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

#3 couldn't be more true.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by superstrutter
i agree 100%
love it!!!
Old 07-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

1. Watching someone hunt on TV is not my thing even if it had some merit...I think its dumb axx. Like watching other people have sex.

2. Two guys sneaking around on some private ranch acting like nothing can see them. The cameraman/sound guy/entourage of gopher boys has to look like a marching band around them.

3. They whisper in microphones, are we really stupid enough to think that is actually quiet.

4. The idea that you need brand new camo while you are sitting in an above ground blind that looks like a big plastic box to be able to hide from deer is just about stupid. What camo pattern do you buy to match the inside of a black plastic box ?

5. Watching one of these clowns whispering into the microphone and telling you how far into the wilderness his is, all the while you can clearly see a highway in the background always struck me as DA.

6. They would have you believe that only brand new guns shooting store bought ammo will work for hunting.

7. If the hunter just follows the cameraman (who by the way is walking backwards) he will always find huge deer, make clean kills and find the dead deer on que.

8. Its hard to act excited about a deer you know will stand out in front of you after its been chained to a tree for the previous six months. These guys sound so phony "hot doggies!!!" "gee mineee!!" "by goolie" "he's a dandy" blah blah blah.

9. Don't know about the rest of you all but I have found that in the process of preparing a deer/elk/antelope to be hauled to some place I will hang and cut it up...I tend to get a little bit dirty. Maybe some blood here, mud there, snow crusted pants.....these guys look like they are rehearsing for a soap opera. After the hunt is over.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Northport buckslayr
Once I would love to hear a guy say " We are hunting a 10,000 acre highly managed piece of property that you would have to $37,000 to hunt on. These deer have hardly seen a person in their lives, so this is really nothing like the hunting you do, in fact its barely hunting its more like a 30 minute commerical. "
I hear that.

I have a question though - the shows that consider themselves "fair chase", does that mean they're out there like everyone else and not paying thousands of dollars to hunt on some specific game land?
Old 07-20-2009, 09:26 PM

I forgot to mention a few other things that bugged me watching a bunch of hunting shows.

I think the real kicker for me was when a group of hunters not only set out for big trophy bucks, but were picky enough that they would only shoot trophies with velvet still on the racks. Come on! Give me a break.

And it's great to see women get out to hunt, my girlfriends been hunting since she was 12, but you see these women on TV hunting and they're sitting there with 10lbs of makeup on like they're about ready to have a night on the town....

I can see getting excited about your hunts as well, but they're starting an all new trend of "showboating" in hunting. Like when a football player dances as he runs the ball into the endzone, they hoot and holler as they find their downed animals and, I kid you not, moments before typing this paragraph, a hunter on whatever show this is on the Sportsman Channel just did "the bear dance" and was dancing around his black bear. Bleh.

Not saying it's bad, but it's more often they do it than not anymore. I'm the kind of guy who walks up to his animal, appreciates it, is thankful for what the lord gave me and continue to take pics then harvest it.

You know what else I don't get? How they act surprised with every trophy they get. They get big trophies all the time yet the next one is just as surprising than the last somehow. Unlike most real hunters as we go out and hope to even see something, their dilemma is "which one is bigger" then get disappointed if they didn't get the biggest one and continue to pursue it relentlessly.

Reguardless, I still like watching them because if I can't get out myself, it's nice to watch it and just see the great things nature gives us.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by crokit
All about the all mighty $$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Exactly... the "industry" has stripped the sport and mede it into a money making farce.
There are some shows I do enjoy watching, and others that make me sick.
All in all, i think it is hurting our sport more than anything.
I do get a kick out of how some of our local hunters have turned into "trophy" hunters and try to the same QDMA on our local public lands, only to have the deer shot 1 week later...
Nothing wrong w/ QDMA, but you have to be in the right area. These shows have so many people brainwashed that they are losing sight of why they are really out there...
Old 07-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

I admit I still watch most of them, however I enjoy the Drury Boys and D&DH the most.

#1 Get rid of the MUSIC. I want to hear the deer rustling the leaves.

I enjoy watching the DVDs better than the shows since they have more time to show some of the other footage. However, I am too cheap to pay $15 for the current year editions. I am a few years behind and usually will pick them up for $7 or less. Right now there are a few at Gander Mountain for $2.97. I can deal with that.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

haha, awesome mini article!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.