Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
A Little Something. 9 things wrong with hunting shows >

A Little Something. 9 things wrong with hunting shows

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A Little Something. 9 things wrong with hunting shows

Old 07-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

I like the Eastmans Outdoors show and how they hunt on public lands where most of us have to hunt. I don't have $5000+ to hunt whitetails on some private ground in one of the states these shows are filmed in. Don't get me wrong I like seeing seeing some of these guys taking monster bucks, but I think there should be a different Boone and Crocket / Pope and Young class for animals taken on outfitted properties versus open public ground.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Throw any of them "Pros" in the same woods most of us hunt and they would kill no better deer than we would. Throw us "Common" hunters in their woods and we could kill wall hangers everytime........Its all about showmanship and dollars. Thats why I don't waste my time watching them.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

After reading through all of this everyone seems to want more shows about regular hunters hunting on regular land. If this is what everyone wants then why does it not happen? Obviously someone is watching these shows and buying the DVDs.

How do we as a hunting community bring about real change? We aren't just pawns in the industry's game...or are we?
Old 07-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you have a fight with Jack Daniels or Jim Beam. Its all marketing and not everyone has a lot of money for editing equipment. Hence the cheesy music
Old 07-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

On shows where they are bowhunting, they either make perfect shots or rarely a clean miss. Never any bad hits, which I know is BS. I don't blame them for not wanting to show them, but some of the shots are really not very good hits, but they call them "perfect".

Another thing that drives me up the wall is the number of deer that are left out until morning. This leaves me the impression that they are more concerned about the antlers and hell with the meat. A very bad example. Rarely is it necessary to leave a deer over night.

On Gettin Close, were led to believe that it is very common for a blond babe to climb a tree and kill a monster buck any time she wants. I can't stand it.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Spike

This is a good topic,
As mentioned earlier , its marketing so thats where all the excitement comes from with all the loud music and comotion.

The 9 reasons listed are all valid IMO .
Primarly all the music , heck atleast play some blue grass if they're gonna paly anything at all.

I'd like to see just a simple program with out all the production work. Heck ,Tred Barta as crazy as he is has a series of shows were you see him fail which is believe it or refreshing. We dont all have the opportunity nor the luck to sit in a stand and pass up wall hangers.
Hopefully things will change.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sjsfire
Throw any of them "Pros" in the same woods most of us hunt and they would kill no better deer than we would. Throw us "Common" hunters in their woods and we could kill wall hangers everytime.
I agree 100%
Old 07-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are very few I care for anymore...they are pretty much all the same...they are just there for marketing purposes only.

It has been said before...Take anyone and lets put them on a tough muley hunt in arizona with a bow...and film running, and then lets see what they can do.
I think they do put in hard work in what they do...but in each case there hunting is under prime conditions, prime land, and so forth.
How about some tough hunts!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Thumbs down

Once they turned from instructional to infomercial I stopped watching nearly all of them. Not long ago I was flipping channels when "Gettin' Close" came on, I watched it just long enough to watch Lee try decide which hang on stands to use, they had stacks of them, possibly hundreds. I'm fairly certain that these stands had been given to them by the manufacturer(sponsor) since all had the same name on them, there was also a lot of expensive gear such as Scent Lok clearly visible in the background. Despite Tiffany coming into the picture I abruptly changed channels when Lee said something about hanging 1,000 stands per season at their place, which she coroborated, so that they always had a fresh stand with good wind orientation. I seem to recall that their place in Iowa isn't over 200 acres. Nobody without a corporate sponsor could afford to have that many stands and high tech gear, much less the time to use them. To me those shows no longer represent hunting as most of us know it, all they are is infomercials anymore, rehashing the same old tired info show after show.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

A lot of valid points made.

My wife made an observation the other day that was valid. She was watching one show with me and suggested that a lot of the newer shows are marketing to a younger crowd (yeah, I know, well duh). Unfortunately, seeing some of these shows, I hope the younger crowd has more common sense that to buy into some of the antics.

And as far as the music, I'm in my fifties and I don't mind the rock or metal. I'm a head banger from way back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.