HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Question regarding deer and corn? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/297955-question-regarding-deer-corn.html)

The Outdoorsman 07-15-2009 07:39 AM

Question regarding deer and corn?

A question was brought to me here at work that I just dont have a clue how to answer. A guy that I work with is curious to know how long it would take for deer and other critters to rid an area of about 75-100 ears of corn in the woods? Im assuming he is talking about putting a bunch of corn in the woods as in baiting them. Which that is illegal here in Indiana unless the ground is bare of the "bait" within 10 days of you hunting that area. Im guessing deer and other critters would wipe it clean in less than a months time, but I dont know since I hunt around food plots and have no need to do something like this, what do you think?

UncleNorby 07-15-2009 07:44 AM

Really hard to say. But one thing is for sure, if there a CO sees corncobs (even bare ones) in the hunting area, and there is no cornfield nearby, a ticket is likely. Your friend better sweep the area pretty well a couple weeks before deciding it is "bait free" and hunting.

shawnfogelman 07-15-2009 07:46 AM

Depends on the amount of critter and deer traffic through that part of the woods really. If I had 75 to 100 ears of corn put out at my spot here in Cincinnati Ohio... within 24 hours it would all be gone. Each area will vary. And Ohio we can bait. hope this helps.

The Outdoorsman 07-15-2009 07:48 AM

Thanks guys, I will let him know, especailly about sweeping the area to clear it before hunting it.

StealthHtr22 07-16-2009 06:37 AM

It's not baiting if the season isn't even in yet, so let's assume he isn't baiting, just attracting and feeding them ahead of time. I put out corn about once a week to keep the deer coming back. Usually 25lbs. is gone in a few days, but I agree areas will vary. I will stop putting out corn about 3 weeks before the season to make plenty sure I'm within the law. To me 10 days isn't good enough.

bigmike924 07-16-2009 07:58 AM

i live in ohio an i start in sep. freeding 25lbs than in oct. i feed 50lbs a week deer can eat 15 to 20 lbs each. so traffic matters and other food later in the yr they eat more.

WoolyBill 07-17-2009 04:47 AM

We can bait here in South Carolina. The ear corn does last longer than the shelled corn. Lots of deer here at our property and 100lbs of ear corn may last 1 and 1/2 weeks depending weather or not it is all in one spot or spread out in a couple. I have seen 40lbs or shelled corn gone in 3 days. Hope that helps!

bdosas 07-17-2009 05:14 AM

I put out corn in front of my game cams here in Indiana. 100 lbs of shelled corn split between two spots roughly 20yds apart lasts about a week. On the cob that same amount lasts about 2 weeks.