HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   .270WSM round for whitetails (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/297593-270wsm-round-whitetails.html)

Xtec Shooter 07-10-2009 10:13 AM

.270WSM round for whitetails

Right now I'm looking at 2 different shells. Fed premium Barnes triple shock and Fed premium nosler accubond. Any others I should be looking at?

I want a 140gr shell, I guess could be a 130gr shell too and a bullet type that is going to retain energy. Nothing that fragments!

jeepkid 07-10-2009 10:19 AM

Both are way overkill for whitetails, but if really want to use premium bullets, buy a box of both and see which shoots better in your gun then stick with that one...

Xtec Shooter 07-10-2009 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by jeepkid (Post 3381563)
Both are way overkill for whitetails, but if really want to use premium bullets, buy a box of both and see which shoots better in your gun then stick with that one...

Why overkill for whitetails?

And yes, I know to shoot ammo to see what's going to shoot better. lol

jeepkid 07-10-2009 10:32 AM

No reason for a premium bonded type bullet for deer. Good ol Nosler ballistic tip would be great and much cheaper...a deer won't know if it was hit by a TSX, Accubond, BT, berger, gameking, interbond, etc...but like I said, just use the one that shoots best in your gun...

Xtec Shooter 07-10-2009 10:38 AM

That makes sense then....You didn't read what I posted. I don't want a bullet that fragments. Ballistic tips are out. I've shot deer with them and I'm not impressed with the results and the lack of blood trails from them.

crokit 07-10-2009 10:45 AM

130 gr .270. Good ol' corelok It is one of the more all around calibers, and I have found that the Winchester 130 gr. shoot the best in my rifle, being a NEA Handi rifle, single shot.

thndrchiken 07-10-2009 10:47 AM

I have not had to trail any of the whitetail I shot with my 270WSM with the 130 gr BT. Dead right there performance. Wow, I just looked at the available loads on Midways website and there sure are quite a few available now. When I bought my gun there were like 6 factory loads available now it's 18.

Xtec Shooter 07-10-2009 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by crokit (Post 3381586)
130 gr .270. Good ol' corelok It is one of the more all around calibers, and I have found that the Winchester 130 gr. shoot the best in my rifle, being a NEA Handi rifle, single shot.

Exactly what I was thinkin. :s13:

Guys, I'm not really looking for what shoots best out of your gun. More so looking for more choices of bullets that retain their weight and don't fragment.

Thanks!

jeepkid 07-10-2009 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Xtec Shooter (Post 3381580)
That makes sense then....You didn't read what I posted. I don't want a bullet that fragments. Ballistic tips are out. I've shot deer with them and I'm not impressed with the results and the lack of blood trails from them.

When was that? They changed their bullets, now they have varmint and hunting bullets. And your right, I've shot deer with the early version BT's and they were terrible...

Why don't you want them to fragment?

Xtec Shooter 07-10-2009 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by jeepkid (Post 3381592)

Why don't you want them to fragment?

All the info is there. Take a moment and read the thread. :happy0157: