Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.270WSM round for whitetails

Old 07-14-2009, 05:31 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
just think how many deer have been killed before the bonded/premium bullets came out...what are they $3 a shot or so? Not very practical when you do a lot of shooting...

That's a good point, but one that also has to be taken into consideration before buying your rifle. Are you going to be shooting A LOT through paper? If so and you can't go in the backyard and dig up more and more coffee cans stuffed with cash....WSMs or WSSMs probably aren't what a guy should be looking for.

Part of the reason why I'm doing the beforehand work on picking ammo and knowing ballistics before I throw down $100 or more on ammo just to see how it goes. Hopefully I'll pick a good performing bullet and my gun will like them the first time through! I compare it to this. I'm a diehard bow hunter and know my gear through and through and shoot about 9-10 months out of the year. But I don't slap on a piece of gear to the bow just to see what it does, I research the heck out of it so I'm not wasting my time or money. LOL
Old 07-14-2009, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Xtec Shooter
That's a good point, but one that also has to be taken into consideration before buying your rifle. Are you going to be shooting A LOT through paper? If so and you can't go in the backyard and dig up more and more coffee cans stuffed with cash....WSMs or WSSMs probably aren't what a guy should be looking for.

Part of the reason why I'm doing the beforehand work on picking ammo and knowing ballistics before I throw down $100 or more on ammo just to see how it goes. Hopefully I'll pick a good performing bullet and my gun will like them the first time through! I compare it to this. I'm a diehard bow hunter and know my gear through and through and shoot about 9-10 months out of the year. But I don't slap on a piece of gear to the bow just to see what it does, I research the heck out of it so I'm not wasting my time or money. LOL
Very true, I'm pretty much the same way. Thats why after thinking about it, I vote for you to go with the new Nosler E-tip so then you can report back to me on how ya like it...

What kind of rifle? Do you reload? Price almost becomes a moot point if you reload...
Old 07-14-2009, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Very true, I'm pretty much the same way. Thats why after thinking about it, I vote for you to go with the new Nosler E-tip so then you can report back to me on how ya like it...

Send me a box....or 8, and I'll let you know! lol I'm heading to Alberta over Thanksgiving, so hopefully I'll get a shot about about a 300-350lb booner whitetail. That'll be the real test.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like whitetails are wearing body armour again...
Old 07-14-2009, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Xtec Shooter

Why would you want a bullet that enters the animal and basically explodes? Sure...it rips it up when you make a good shot, but for a trackable kill do you really think it's the best option going? Meat loss?
Thats why I'm on my Berger kick right now...loading them for my .243 AI, .270 win and 7mm Rem mag. They penetrate 2-3 inches then shed their jacket and deposit all their energy inside the animal, not in the tree behind the animal. They look good on video, ballistics gel (even Barnes tests results) and reports, so hopefully they work as good as advertised...

Read this article also...http://www.barnesbullets.com/informa...alk/lab-tests/ Even the Barnes didn't retain 100% of its weight, and take a look at the wound channels...

Last edited by jeepkid; 07-14-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Xtec, the main reason I use the ballistic silvertip is because when I bought my gun, it was the first year they came out with the .270 WSM. There was a very limited choice of ammo back then. The only ammo around here was Win. ballistic silvertip. I sighted my rifle in with them and had great results with them. Throughout the years I have had to do very little blood trailing while using this round. Most of my kills have been in their tracks. I have actually had better results with the 130 grain than with the 150 grain. I don't hunt bear, elk, moose, or any other large game with a rifle.They work great for whitetails. They have always worked great for me, so why change a good thing? Now, with my Ruger M77 .270, I don't use ballistic tips.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

All do respect all the research in the world won't matter squat if your rifle won't print the ammo..unfortunately the only way is to invest & let the rifle do the talking. FWIW I believe whole hearted in researching however their comes a time where the reading, researching must give way to trial and error. I'm sure you've found this to be true with your bow (s)??? IME as a reloader the TSX has performed very well in a variety of rifles. If you ever used barnes in the past or heard the stories about them being picky, the TSX's are an entirely different animal - low fouling and accurate.

In terms of the BT I have yet to witness the explosion often talked about on the net or at the range. Yes they can be destructive at high velocity (+2900fps) but even then its never caused me any troubles in collecting my deer. In fact my personal experience with over 30 heads with the BT has been short tracks and blood trails blind man worthy. JMO but on a deer I don't mind a bullet dumping its energy into the target. in fact i prefer it (note this is on the same canadian bucks you'll be hunting in November). On the likes of tougher hide/bigger structured animal such as an elk or moose I prefer retention and penetration afforded by bonded, solid constructed bullets like parts or all coppers like Barnes TSX.