Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.270WSM round for whitetails

Old 07-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Xtec Shooter
All the info is there. Take a moment and read the thread.
Then go with a solid!!

You obviously know what you want and don't care what anyone here says, so just go buy what you want!
Old 07-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Then go with a solid!!

You obviously know what you want and don't care what anyone here says, so just go buy what you want!

I don't know what I want and I don't know about every bullet out on the market. I want weight retention and I don't want one that fragments. That's why I asked the question.

If all you know are ballistic tip bullets, why did you even chime in? lol A couple reading comprehension classes might help you out. If I were you, I'd look into those.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know what I want and I don't know about every bullet out on the market. I want weight retention and I don't want one that fragments. That's why I asked the question.

If all you know are ballistic tip bullets, why did you even chime in? lol A couple reading comprehension classes might help you out. If I were you, I'd look into those.

Actually I've only used the BT's a little, now I just use them to fireform. I've used TSX's, X, XLC, AccuBond, soft point round nose, a little bit of everything, now I'm on a Berger kick. And I know that the deer didn't know any difference if shot placement was there...the main thing...

What are your intentions? What ranges? You just want to make sure you have 2 holes for a good blood trail correct?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid

What are your intentions? What ranges? You just want to make sure you have 2 holes for a good blood trail correct?

whitetails(MN-Canada, so not 100lb deer)
20 yards to probably 200+...average range probably in the 50/75 to 150.
The main reason why I want weight retention is so I have 2 holes to track if need be. From the deer I have shot with fragmenting bullets is that their cavities fill up with the blood. That does absolutely no good if you need to track.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

whitetails(MN-Canada, so not 100lb deer)
20 yards to probably 200+...average range probably in the 50/75 to 150.
The main reason why I want weight retention is so I have 2 holes to track if need be. From the deer I have shot with fragmenting bullets is that their cavities fill up with the blood. That does absolutely no good if you need to track.
Either one would be fine...if it was me I would go with the AccuBond, AccuBond CT, or Partition just because Barnes switches their bullets so much that if you find one your gun likes it won't be produced much longer...

I have also heard good things about the InterBond, but haven't personally used them and not sure if they are factory loaded in .270wsm.

Do you reload?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you're really wanting 2 holes, I think you want that TSX, federal loads their trophy bonded tip bullet in 130 and 150gr, which seems to essentially be a barnes MRX, or tipped TSX type bullet. I think any of those 3 would offer the most penetration, least fragmenting.

If you handload you could load a 130-140-150gr swift A-frame, which is like a nosler partition but with 99% weight retention I believe.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I you want great performance with no fragmentation, then you want the TSX. Even the Accubond will shed up to 50% of it's weight, which means that lead is being deposited in the wound cavity. No way around this with expanding lead cored bullets in a high velocity round. The Barnes is all copper, and will retain all of it's weight in most cases. Now, that being said, the Barnes bullets can and sometimes do have one or more petals break off with very high velocity impacts such as those that can occur at close ranges with modern super-magnum rounds. The good news is that the petals won't break up any further, and being made of copper, they are non-toxic (unless you're a microorganism, that is! ).

Mike
Old 07-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Fork Horn

I used to use a .270 winchester (non WSM) for deer shooting 130 grains of balistic tip bullets. I was so un happy with the performance I sold the gun. The .270 was expanding fully in the skin (entrance side) and did its damage to the entrance side of the 1 st lung. It did nothing but poke a small hole through the hart and 2nd lung before the subsequent exit wound.
I never tried prem bullets on any deer because of the expence but maybe some controled expantion bullets would work good enough for deer.
From that experience I have concluded that the .270 win. (and by extention, its cousin the .270 wsm) are varmit rounds. The top end heaviest you would want for cyote hunting or perhaps just right for antalope or cues deer. have hunted neither of the last 2 so its just my opinion.
Personally (if you are still looking for a gun) I would think it would be better to have a big enough bullet to do damage to both lungs with the reg. cheap bullets. Then I could buy the cheap ammo and do lots of hunting. Some will say "git a double duty round" but I say after resighting in for the other load you have wasted any savings not to mention the hassle. Just have 2 guns instead, that way you can have a calibure ideally suited to the intended targets. Smaller and easier on the shoulder rounds for the dumb cyotes and bigger rounds for a shure kill on the deer.

Thats my 2 cents on the subject.
Switchback XT
Old 07-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Fork Horn

Cool

Originally Posted by driftrider
I you want great performance with no fragmentation, then you want the TSX. Even the Accubond will shed up to 50% of it's weight, which means that lead is being deposited in the wound cavity. No way around this with expanding lead cored bullets in a high velocity round. The Barnes is all copper, and will retain all of it's weight in most cases. Now, that being said, the Barnes bullets can and sometimes do have one or more petals break off with very high velocity impacts such as those that can occur at close ranges with modern super-magnum rounds. The good news is that the petals won't break up any further, and being made of copper, they are non-toxic (unless you're a microorganism, that is! ).

Mike
That barnes is my new bullet, as long as I can afford it!
Old 07-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Fork Horn

May I ask why the OP is selecting Winchester Short Mag's over the conventional cal. if he is limited to factory ammo's??

The reason I ask is because I see no advantage to the Short mag's or even Super Short Mag's if limited to factory ammo. With prices (on factory ammo) higher than the old .270 win. why buy the Short Mag or even Super Short Mag at all?
Unless you are a reload er, then that changes the whole ball game here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.