HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What is a saddle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/297410-what-saddle.html)

RT1 07-07-2009 11:28 AM

What is a saddle

Can someone explain to me what is a saddle in deer hunting terms, any pics would be appreciated also. I'm not sure if i have it correct.
Thank you

crokit 07-07-2009 01:14 PM

RE: What is a saddle

Speaking topo map wise in as simple of terms as possible, Picture a ridge along the top of a hill. On the ridge there are two knobs, one to the left, one to the right. As you come down off the one knob { either one }continuing on and then ascending the other knob, the bottom point of your travel to the point you begin ascending the other knob is known as the saddle. It can be a wide expanse; a big ' U ', or it can be more pronounced, simply a ' V '. Picture viewing an actual saddle from a side-on view. That's the look, hence the name.

RT1 07-07-2009 01:47 PM

so if i'm walking down off a ridge and the lowest point off that ridge before it climbs back upwards is the saddle? Almost like a ditch of sorts (in a sense) The lowest point of a ditch

crokit 07-07-2009 02:11 PM

Picture walking that ridge and coming to a spot where the contour lines start getting closer together, signifying a rise in elevation. As you ascend that rise and get to the top,picture this as the back end of a horse's saddle. As you break over the side, [ Dropping down into the seat of that horse saddle ] continue along the seat and you hit another rise in elevation,moving to the top { the front end of the horses saddle } That area, low point, that you just crossed, { the seat } is what is commonly known as a " saddle ".

Keep in mind, it won't always occur on a ridge, but that is where they are prominent/predominate, and are easily spotted when viewing a topo map. These areas are natural travel areas for game, and excellent spots to plan a hunt around.

salukipv1 07-07-2009 06:42 PM

much easier to show you a picture of one than to explain, but a classic saddle is essentially, two U's attached to one another, one upside down from the other and turned 90 degrees.

Saddles basically offer a lower pass through of a ridge, kinda like a mountain pass, and like us animals would prefer to take the easier path through/over a ridge which is often a saddle. If this is surrounded by woods, often times this pass can be almost completely isolated andout of sight. Sometimes you may not even know a saddle exists until checking out a topo.

RT1 07-08-2009 04:01 AM

ORIGINAL: crokit

Picture walking that ridge and coming to a spot where the contour lines start getting closer together, signifying a rise in elevation. As you ascend that rise and get to the top,picture this as the back end of a horse's saddle. As you break over the side, [ Dropping down into the seat of that horse saddle ] continue along the seat and you hit another rise in elevation,moving to the top { the front end of the horses saddle } That area, low point, that you just crossed, { the seat } is what is commonly known as a " saddle ".

Keep in mind, it won't always occur on a ridge, but that is where they are prominent/predominate, and are easily spotted when viewing a topo map. These areas are natural travel areas for game, and excellent spots to plan a hunt around.
thanks for thehelp, now i understand the term better.

Horizontal Hunter 07-08-2009 04:59 AM

Pick up the book "Mapping Trophy Bucks" by Tom Hearndon and you will get much better at reading topo maps.

Bob

crokit 07-08-2009 05:33 AM

RTI: Happy to help. As salukpvi said, much easier to show on map than to explain. When I first saw your post I thought " piece of cake " as far as explaining. Then when putting on paper I realized alot tougher to say than to show. Just take any topo map you can find for your area you hunt. Won't take long/practice to Identify saddles. They'll start jumping right off the map infront of you.

Charlie P 07-09-2009 09:36 AM

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/...pos/index.html

Here's a prety good explanation.

Charlie P 07-09-2009 09:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another