Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Conditioning for hunting season. >

Conditioning for hunting season.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Conditioning for hunting season.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Conditioning for hunting season.

Just curious if others here start some sort of workout routine to prepare for hunting season.I generally run,bicycle,so I don't drop dead from a heart attack dragin out a big'un.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Conditioning for hunting season.

Nope. I'm an Active Duty U.S. Marine so I stay in pretty good shape year round. But I definitely would alter my training routine if I were planning a high-altitude hunt or something over mountainous terrain.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

Prior service Marine here now works as a personal trainer at a gym. I get paid to put others through he11 and get a workout at the same time. As far as what will benefit you.... I use a step mill (like walking up an escalator going down). Any bicep and back exercises would be beneficial for pulling and lifting that buck out of the woods and into your truck bed. Legs and Back are what wears out or gets injured first while dragging out a large animal.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

I've been getting in shape too, but not just for deer season. I started training for a race this spring and dropped 20 pounds. After the race I kept it up and even beefed up my core body and free weight workouts. I'm on a 3-day rotation now. Yesterday I rocked my upper body with about an hour and a half on my home weight bench. This morning before work I ran 5 miles. Tomorrow before work I'll do 300 situps as part of my core bodyroutine. Some days I supplement that with some laps in our community pool. I'm also eating pretty good. There will be plenty of room in my coveralls this fall. The Mrs. is pleased with the results.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RenaissanceBiker

I've been getting in shape too, but not just for deer season. I started training for a race this spring and dropped 20 pounds. After the race I kept it up and even beefed up my core body and free weight workouts. I'm on a 3-day rotation now. Yesterday I rocked my upper body with about an hour and a half on my home weight bench. This morning before work I ran 5 miles. Tomorrow before work I'll do 300 situps as part of my core bodyroutine. Some days I supplement that with some laps in our community pool. I'm also eating pretty good. There will be plenty of room in my coveralls this fall. The Mrs. is pleased with the results.
Swimming is the best cardio exercise there is. Especially if you're swimming laps using bilateral breathing over rythmic. It teaches your body to better utilize oxygen. The best is what you're doing. Combining it with weights and running. Maybe throw a little cycling in there and you'll have an outstanding cardio routine.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent thread, particularly since the past three years, I have lost two friends to heart attacks during hunting season. Both were dragging deer, both under 60 yrs, old. Too many hunters IMHO, don't condition themselves properly. In my 20's, after getting out of the service, I competed in the Decathlon for ten years. Needless to say, one develops a pretty rigorous routine for such competition. Most of my cardio was from swimming and mixing sprint/jogs of 1/4 miles. Since then, I work out, mainly cardio twice a day, three times a week, Bike and treadmill, getting my heartrate to 130-140 BPM, sustained for several minutes. For 57 yrs old, I have a very good recovery time, only a few minutes to get back down to 65-70 BPM. I wouldn't dream of doing what I do in the Adirondacks without conditioning, particularly since much time there is spent solo for days at a time.

First consult your doctor, but very important to condition yourself. You owe it to your family, but more important, to yourself!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

crokit sorry to hear about your friends.Last season I got a little to lax in my conditioning.I had a hard time dragging out the deer.I took frequent breaks otherwise the same fate might well have befallen myself.This time I've been taking it much more seriously.At 52 I can no longer afford to take the importance of a regular workout routine for granted.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Starting to walk more and getting back on the bike. I plan to start to carry a pack and add weights as the time gets closer. I will get down to 180 pounds and take the stairs as much as I can to get ready for the "hills" of Colorado.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was just introduced to something this morning that is a fantastic workout! It would most definitely get people in shape for deer hunting and dragging animals out of the woods. It's called TRX (Total Body Resistance Exercise). Seems pretty basic and it's kind of expensive but it works great! Google it.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting this topic should come up. I just started walking to begin getting ready for the fall. Next week that walking will turn into jogging. I have a good size hill near my house and I want to be able to run up that sucker by October.

Of course with me living in Phoenix Arizona this is not exactly the best time of year to be outdoors exercising! Typically I am outside no later than 4am and the temperature is perfect. Once the sun comes up at about 5:30, you want to get indoors.

Quick Reply: Conditioning for hunting season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.