HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer eating crops... okay to shoot??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/297201-deer-eating-crops-okay-shoot.html)

soulless 07-04-2009 06:47 PM

Deer eating crops... okay to shoot???

We leased a land to grow crops for food and for $$$$... Problem is, there are some deers that keep eating the crops.. Land owner said it's okay to shoot, but i'm not sure..

Should I call the local DNR first to make sure? If we can't shoot the deers, OMG..... $$$$$$$$ thounsands of dollar will be gone... freaking...**** pissing me off

scaring them away will only last a few hrs only we go home... :(

SteveBNy 07-04-2009 07:08 PM

RE: Deer eating crops... okay to shoot???

No state I know of allows it without issuing permits.
Check your state regulations.
And (FYI) it is deer - not deers.

Steve

soulless 07-04-2009 07:19 PM

thanks.. deer. hehe

CamoCop 07-05-2009 04:27 AM

you should be able to acquire a "nuisance permit" from your local DNR which allow you to harvest the deer in your crops year around.

gamewarden1 07-05-2009 06:38 AM

Here in NC. The farmers are allowed to shoot the deer as long as they are in the act of depredation (eating the crops or damaging them) but he/she mustleave the deer laying or pull it out of the field.The permit only allows the farmer to possess them (use the deer meat or to have someone else come and shoot the deer). But, it is always better to contact the local officer and let him know about the problem.

mohunter82 07-05-2009 09:24 AM

just contact local DNR or agent and they will give you premit and all will be good. better to be legal.

nchawkeye 07-05-2009 05:22 PM

It's part of farming, leave them alone and take care of the does during hunting season...

outdoorsman4life_103 07-06-2009 02:40 PM

I agree with hawkeye. Sounds like you will have some good hunting come fall!! do some serious huntin in fall and shoot alot of does. unless you are doing farming on a VERY small tract of land, you arent loosing 1000's of dollars and you arent loosing everything. we have a 10 acre corn field with a high deer density and you can barely notice they touched it.

Switchback_XT 07-06-2009 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: soulless

We leased a land to grow crops for food and for $$$$... Problem is, there are some deers that keep eating the crops.. Land owner said it's okay to shoot, but i'm not sure..

Should I call the local DNR first to make sure? If we can't shoot the deers, OMG..... $$$$$$$$ thounsands of dollar will be gone... freaking...**** pissing me off

[&:]hmmm As far as I knew Farmers had the right to shoot any thing that was harming their crops or animals. How you go about being legal while doing it I don't know. I thought they could just go on a shooting spree or some thing. I agree with you on them eating more than their far share of corn, even the little bit the Conservation buys for them deer does little to cover the damage. I have allways wondered if that deer food plot stuff would draw them off the corn?[>:]

ipscshooter 07-07-2009 05:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Switchback_XT

ORIGINAL: soulless

[&:]hmmm As far as I knew Farmers had the right to shoot any thing that was harming their crops or animals. How you go about being legal while doing it I don't know. I thought they could just go on a shooting spree or some thing. I agree with you on them eating more than their far share of corn, even the little bit the Conservation buys for them deer does little to cover the damage. I have allways wondered if that deer food plot stuff would draw them off the corn?[>:]
How you go about being legal is to check your state laws and make sure you comply with them. I would bet that most states allow farmers to shoot deer that are harming their crops, but, they require that you notify the appropriate authorities and obtain a permit to do so.