Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Deer eating crops... okay to shoot??? >

Deer eating crops... okay to shoot???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer eating crops... okay to shoot???

Old 07-09-2009, 01:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Re: RE: Deer eating crops... okay to shoot???

Originally Posted by outdoorsman4life_103
If you stil have that many problems wit deer, lease it out during the hunting season at $300-500a pop. let em shoot as many does as they are allowed (legally) and hten you make some cash in the process.
That still does not cover the rest of the year though. while he waits for deer hunters to come pay for a hunt (may not even happen since he would be new to the hunt buis) Deer eat his corn, means he no git any thing to eat that winter!

P.S. love the new an improved boards, Vbuiliten RULLS!!
Old 07-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by soulless
We leased a land to grow crops for food and for $$$$... Problem is, there are some deers that keep eating the crops.. Land owner said it's okay to shoot, but i'm not sure..

Should I call the local DNR first to make sure? If we can't shoot the deers, OMG..... $$$$$$$$ thounsands of dollar will be gone... freaking...**** pissing me off

scaring them away will only last a few hrs only we go home...

You had no idea that deer eat crops before you bought the ground or before you planted whatever you did? lmao!!!! Duh.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:07 PM

Default There is a way!

We had the same problem and we fixed it! We put a 6 ft fence around our crops and fruit trees -- and we hunt the deer legal during hunting season!
Old 07-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by gamewarden1
Here in NC. The farmers are allowed to shoot the deer as long as they are in the act of depredation (eating the crops or damaging them) but he/she mustleave the deer laying or pull it out of the field.The permit only allows the farmer to possess them (use the deer meat or to have someone else come and shoot the deer). But, it is always better to contact the local officer and let him know about the problem.
I am fairly sure this is how it works in Ky as well.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default Deer eating crops

Give me directions to your place and I will solve your problem.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:47 AM
Typical Buck

Get permits and shoot them. From a farmer's point of view they are just overgrown groundhogs. I dont think alot of folks have a clue about the density problems in some areas. I shot 6 does last fall, and 8 more this summer. Could have killed dozens if I kept a rifle in all my trucks/tractors. I have some soybean fields that should be past waist high struggling to get past 4-6". I dont shoot the bucks out of season, but I'm a softy sometimes.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hossdaniels
Get permits and shoot them. From a farmer's point of view they are just overgrown groundhogs. I dont think alot of folks have a clue about the density problems in some areas. I shot 6 does last fall, and 8 more this summer. Could have killed dozens if I kept a rifle in all my trucks/tractors. I have some soybean fields that should be past waist high struggling to get past 4-6". I dont shoot the bucks out of season, but I'm a softy sometimes.
You don't honestly expect anyone to believe that deer are responsible for the stunted growth of your entire fields do you??? I might agree with patches in a field, but entire fields??? That sounds more like poor growing conditions wether it be lack of nutrients in the soil (or applied), wrong rainfall, inadeqaute temps etc. I'd buy any of those theories before I would deer mowing down your entire fields.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DougE
It's very disturbing that hunters expect farmers to fund their hobby.

Deer repellant?That's funny.
What is even more disturbing is the expectation of farmers to have the US government subsidized their operations via the US taxpayer.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by teedub31
You don't honestly expect anyone to believe that deer are responsible for the stunted growth of your entire fields do you??? I might agree with patches in a field, but entire fields??? That sounds more like poor growing conditions wether it be lack of nutrients in the soil (or applied), wrong rainfall, inadeqaute temps etc. I'd buy any of those theories before I would deer mowing down your entire fields.
I have three small(2-4 acre)fields that never got past a foot high, anywhere in the entire field. They are located near and around a 80 acre 5 yr old cutover. Most of my other larger fields are a little thin around the woodline. Never had insect, pH, or fertility problems(fertility and pH checked twice a year, scouted weekly for insect and weed problems). Just had a leaf analysis done on one field and the results came back PERFECT! In fact better than some of my other fields that are nearing 4' high now. Deer can DESTROY a soybean field, especially smaller ones. That is why 5-10 acres is sometimes recommended as the minimum size for soybeans as food plots. 8 acres are near a total loss, and I only have 165 acres of beans. Thats 5% off the top. It matters to me.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by teedub31
What is even more disturbing is the expectation of farmers to have the US government subsidized their operations via the US taxpayer.

Easy now teedud, not all farmers receive subsidies and IMO farmers are one of hunters greatest allies

Quick Reply: Deer eating crops... okay to shoot???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.