Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Am I Old Fashioned!

Old 06-30-2009, 06:32 AM

Default RE: Am I Old Fashioned!

I'm an old fashioned sort myself,and I think all of your complaints have merit.Whenever I'm asked to hunt with someone,I try to help out as much as I can.As for sharing the meat that goes without question anytime,anywhere I hunt.Yeah,many people have forgotten or just never learned common hunting courtesy.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

so you're saying there are people who don't offer to pay their half? the idea seems foreign to me, and not very courteous.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:05 AM

I dont think that old fashion is the right word because I am only 20 and I have the same thoughts as you.
That maybe because my dad taught me to split everything while hunting.
I usually only hunt with my family but since I had a job when I was 16 I started pitching in on the expenses.
When we go hunting we always split gas food lodging or camp fees. Meat is always split equalingno matter what. If your with us and we get something everyone gets meat doesnt matter if there are 6 people in the hunting party and one animal it gets split 6 ways. We even all split the expense of processing if we dont butcher it ourselves.
When I invite someone hunting or someone wants to come with the family we make it clear all expenses and meat is split.
Last season was my only exception to this rule. My uncle could not afford to hunt but he is my main hunting buddy since my little brother needs to tag along with my dad. He couldnt afford gas every weekend and camp fees and so on. In this case I invited him anyway I covered the gas most of food. Only thing I asked of him was he buy his own tags and help with expenses when he could throughout the season. Turned out he couldnt help very often but I didnt care cuz he did help when he could. I didnt ask him to pay me back a dime but when he got his tax return he gave me a chunk of it to cover his hunting expenses for last year. But I didnt spend it I am holding it without him knowing just in case he is in the same situation this year. By the way I got a buck and split it with him and ironically he got a bull elk and split it with me so he contributed more meat then me in the end anyway.