Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2008 Mount

Old 07-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Spike

Default RE: 2008 Mount

The ear is a little offsetting, but I like it personally. I think you may grow to like it in time.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:04 AM
Fork Horn

I think the ear looks very realistic. I've seen many deer do something with there ear just like that. Personally I think the deer to the far left looks like a better mount than the others. It has more detail, and just looks more like a live deer than the other ones do. I'm not saying the others are bad mounts. They are all very very good mounts. Just the left one looks best to me.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Beautiful mount ip. I particularly like the lightness of the hide, and in my opinion the turned ear is a nice touch. Looks like your taxi pays attention to detail.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off....that it a pretty nice looking mount. Tons better than a lot I see posted here. Your taxidermist is right...a deer can move their ears independatly from each other in more ways than we can begin to think. So the way he has your ears is correct. PERHAPS, where the taxidermist went wrong was he didn't ask you how you prefer the ears. I ask every customer how they would like their ears posistioned. Some havea preference, some leave it up to me. PERSONALLY, I like the 'one ear back/one ear forward' posistion. Take a look at my website gallery...you can see about half the mount in the gallery have one forward and one back. In fact, when I mounted my archery buck from last year...I choose the same position....

But like I said...it is all personal preference and he probably should have asked you if you had a perference. BTW - very nice short hair cape...I like it.

Just what i like. I would have went with a thicker neck on it looks a lil thin. I hate the ear, but love all three are good deer.
That is the funniest thing I heard all day. I hate to burst your bubble...but this is one of the biggest things that need to be cleared up between taxidermist and hunters. The taxidermist doesn't determine the neck size...the deer does. Think of it like this....if I gave you a 6' extension cord and asked you to make it 12' long...could you? Nope. Same deal. The deers neck is what it is. Sure we can stretch them a bit, but a lot of times we are just stretching back the size we lost during the tanning process. So when you see a comment on neck size, you can bet that was close to the original size...and the taxidermist isn't capable of performing magic to make a neck bigger. In fact, some taxidermist even measure the neck carcass then order the form to fit.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks, zubba. I agree that the guy does good work. I am leaning towards keeping it as is. That seems to be the slight majority view... I agree that he should have asked first.

This is a closer view of the 2007 buck that he did for me last year. He's got longer hair. He said that the cape he used on this years buck was from a deer taken in the same county, but, I'm not so sure. I think it's pretty clear that the cape he used was from a younger buck. The two were both taken from the same stand...

Old 07-03-2009, 06:00 AM

Nice bucks!!