HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Right or Wrong? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/296831-right-wrong.html)

SouthernBuckFever 06-28-2009 06:45 PM

Right or Wrong?

Ok I post pictures of bucks on here from my trial camera. I'm wondering if the bucks in the northern states grow faster then bucks here in the southern states.....like VA for example where I live. I have some nice bucks but I've just started noticing people that post pics in the Northern states have pictures of bucks with longer tines. Am I right or wrong?

Colorado Luckydog 06-29-2009 04:57 AM

RE: Right or Wrong?

There are plenty of big racks in the North and plenty in the south. The Northern deer are bigger bodied deer and their racks can appear to be smaller when viewing them in the wild.

SWThomas 06-29-2009 06:15 AM

Deer size is a product of environment. The reason the deer are larger in certain areas is because of agriculture. If they have the food to support such growth, they will grow.

Redclub 06-30-2009 09:36 AM

I figure the deer get bigger the farther north you go. (not neccasary antlers tho) That is because of hard winters, Only the largest survive to pass along there genes. Thats why Canada has such large deer.
RC

timbercruiser 06-30-2009 12:34 PM

Northern deer shed their antlers earlier than the southern bucks so they start growing back earlierso they would be larger now.

FlDeerman 06-30-2009 12:46 PM

And that's why the Key deer are so small,it's all ways hot there.

KUK XTREME BUCKS 06-30-2009 01:36 PM

SoutherenBuckFever I have noticed that to in my own modist opinion I think northeren deer are bigger.I mean look at Canada they have some thumper's up their but you dont see AS much of that kinda size here in ba donka donk town Arkansas.

Jimmy S 07-01-2009 11:23 AM

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

Deer size is a product of environment. The reason the deer are larger in certain areas is because of agriculture. If they have the food to support such growth, they will grow.
I respectfully disagree. We have deer here in northern New England that are some of the biggest deer in the country. Yet there is very little agriculture. They food source is whatever is availeble in the deep woods.

I agree with Redclub...The deer up north are usually always bigger because they have to be big to survive the nasty, cold winters up here.
The genes are then passed on....

DougE 07-01-2009 01:29 PM

It's called begmann's rule.The farther you go from the equator,the bigger the deer get.

appleater25 07-01-2009 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: SouthernBuckFever

Ok I post pictures of bucks on here from my trial camera. I'm wondering if the bucks in the northern states grow faster then bucks here in the southern states.....like VA for example where I live. I have some nice bucks but I've just started noticing people that post pics in the Northern states have pictures of bucks with longer tines. Am I right or wrong?
I don't think he's talking about quality of bucks....I think he's asking if they grow(as in this time of year) faster/sooner than the bucks of the south...