Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Right or Wrong?

Old 06-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Spike

Default Right or Wrong?

Ok I post pictures of bucks on here from my trial camera. I'm wondering if the bucks in the northern states grow faster then bucks here in the southern states.....like VA for example where I live. I have some nice bucks but I've just started noticing people that post pics in the Northern states have pictures of bucks with longer tines. Am I right or wrong?
Old 06-29-2009, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Right or Wrong?

There are plenty of big racks in the North and plenty in the south. The Northern deer are bigger bodied deer and their racks can appear to be smaller when viewing them in the wild.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer size is a product of environment. The reason the deer are larger in certain areas is because of agriculture. If they have the food to support such growth, they will grow.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

I figure the deer get bigger the farther north you go. (not neccasary antlers tho) That is because of hard winters, Only the largest survive to pass along there genes. Thats why Canada has such large deer.
RC
Old 06-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Northern deer shed their antlers earlier than the southern bucks so they start growing back earlierso they would be larger now.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

And that's why the Key deer are so small,it's all ways hot there.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Spike

SoutherenBuckFever I have noticed that to in my own modist opinion I think northeren deer are bigger.I mean look at Canada they have some thumper's up their but you dont see AS much of that kinda size here in ba donka donk town Arkansas.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

Deer size is a product of environment. The reason the deer are larger in certain areas is because of agriculture. If they have the food to support such growth, they will grow.
I respectfully disagree. We have deer here in northern New England that are some of the biggest deer in the country. Yet there is very little agriculture. They food source is whatever is availeble in the deep woods.

I agree with Redclub...The deer up north are usually always bigger because they have to be big to survive the nasty, cold winters up here.
The genes are then passed on....
Old 07-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's called begmann's rule.The farther you go from the equator,the bigger the deer get.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SouthernBuckFever

Ok I post pictures of bucks on here from my trial camera. I'm wondering if the bucks in the northern states grow faster then bucks here in the southern states.....like VA for example where I live. I have some nice bucks but I've just started noticing people that post pics in the Northern states have pictures of bucks with longer tines. Am I right or wrong?
I don't think he's talking about quality of bucks....I think he's asking if they grow(as in this time of year) faster/sooner than the bucks of the south...

Quick Reply: Right or Wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.