HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   DO YOU PERFORM QDM? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/296801-do-you-perform-qdm.html)

penninside08 06-28-2009 09:51 AM

DO YOU PERFORM QDM?

How many of you actually perform QDM (killing does, giving proper nutrients, habitat, etc.)?

If you do, how many of you see a good effect from it? Does it make that much of a difference to give it a shot?

reds10ss 06-28-2009 12:35 PM

RE: DO YOU PERFORM QDM?

me and my family do on our private land..food plots,mineral sites,improved habitat,lots of trail cams and harvesting a certain amount of does. im sure were not doing it right down to the books but we have noticed a big difference. more bucks-passing on the younger ones and letting them grow. i think any of the techniques will help anybody with their hunting. even if its just food plots.

Switchback_XT 06-29-2009 01:48 AM

What does QDM stand for? I assume it is an acronym. Shooting does works wonders, we have trouble seeing big bucks here in MO. Mostly because people generally shoot at the first thing that wonders by. thankfully now there is the new 4 point rule. the deer has to have a good set of antlers or u cant shoot it. Most abide by this but the poachers will be poachers (dam them all to hell).
We shoot does off our property and our friends property. we only harvested management bucks untill we realized that some deer "bad genetics" were really just being careless with they head gear. they bang it into stuff when it is soft and plyable and so it looks like inferior genetics. we stoped doing that part.

4evrhtn 06-29-2009 05:15 AM

Quality Deer Management

It has greatly increased the health of the deer herd and the habitat I hunt. Right now I have a 1.5 to 1 doe to buck ratio and I am extremely happy with the quality of the younger bucks on my property.

Steven McBee 06-29-2009 05:46 AM

we have been managing our 2000 acres for the past 5 years..... the first year we started, the biggest buck we had shot on the farm was a 130 inch 8 point.... now, in the past 2 seasons, we have taken 5 deer that gross boone and 4 others that are above 150 inch gross

kevin1 06-29-2009 05:50 AM

Unless you have absolute control over thousands of acres QDM cannot produce scientifically reliable results no matter what you've been told, which pretty much limits it's effectiveness to vast tracts that have little pressure, or a high fenced pic 'n shoot.

SWThomas 06-29-2009 06:08 AM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Unless you have absolute control over thousands of acres QDM cannot produce scientifically reliable results no matter what you've been told, which pretty much limits it's effectiveness to vast tracts that have little pressure, or a high fenced pic 'n shoot.
I agree.

bryant1 06-29-2009 07:34 AM

We practice a few elements of QDM, such as the harvesting of does andantler restrictions(at least 2 points on 1 side LOL). On the 38,000 acres it seems to have brought our avg. buck to higher standards/ but I do hunt in Florida, so the biggest we killed last year might havescored 110;):D

teedub31 06-29-2009 10:27 AM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

DING DING DING!!!

Winner Winer Chicken Dinner!!!

Now I will say that paasing on small immature bucks will give you the best shot at growing larger deer, but unless everyone in a 5 mile radius is doing the same thing then your efforts are mostly for naught.

heinz57 06-29-2009 03:57 PM

we don't have that problem ,got 5 ft. of snow last winter the wolves took care of the deer ...