HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Field Corn, winterwheat or soybeans?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/296660-field-corn-winterwheat-soybeans.html)

GFY_Camp 06-25-2009 06:28 PM

Field Corn, winterwheat or soybeans??

All other things being equal (i.e., wind, cover, security, etc.) will most deer go to soybeans, winter wheat,or field corn. Just curious what others think?

WIbuckchaser 06-25-2009 06:38 PM

RE: Field Corn or Soybeans??

The deer chew on the tender green soybean leaves this time of year. Later on they go after the beans for all the oil (fat). In the winter they paw up what's left.
Early season the deer sometimes bed in the corn fields, but there isn't much feeding going on until the corn starts to mature a little. By mid October I'd say they would definitely be helping themselves with the mature corn. From October until it greens up again in the spring is when they will feed on corn.

Wingbone 06-26-2009 02:57 AM

ORIGINAL: WIbuckchaser

The deer chew on the tender green soybean leaves this time of year. Later on they go after the beans for all the oil (fat). In the winter they paw up what's left.
Early season the deer sometimes bed in the corn fields, but there isn't much feeding going on until the corn starts to mature a little. By mid October I'd say they would definitely be helping themselves with the mature corn. From October until it greens up again in the spring is when they will feed on corn.

I think that pretty much covers it. The only time I've seen deer in winter wheat is inwinter when its the only thing green or very early spring, same reason.

teedub31 06-26-2009 07:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

ORIGINAL: WIbuckchaser

I think that pretty much covers it. The only time I've seen deer in winter wheat is inwinter when its the only thing green or very early spring, same reason.
Tell that to the 5 bucks I saw in 4 different wheat fields at 6am this morning.:D

jbtagout 06-26-2009 10:10 AM

RE: Field Corn, winterwheat or soybeans??

Im a Soybean fanatic. We show a video in Iowa last January while hunting late season. We watched over a hundred deer walk past corn and alfalfa to feed on a cut bean field. Powerful food source