Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Too many does an how to hold buck on 34 acer woods >

Too many does an how to hold buck on 34 acer woods

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Too many does an how to hold buck on 34 acer woods

Old 06-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Too many does an how to hold buck on 34 acer woods

ORIGINAL: Centaur 1

ORIGINAL: mohunter82

management isnt as hard now either with missouri installin AR.
What does this mean?
My county and almost half of missouri is now under antler restriction. 4 points on one side must be present to be a legal buck.
This has forced the neighboring properties to help in my managemnet whether they like it or not. and since i put very little hunting pressure on my land the deer use it as a safe haven.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Centaur 1

management isnt as hard now either with missouri installin AR.
What does this mean?
My county and almost half of missouri is now under antler restriction. 4 points on one side must be present to be a legal buck.
This has forced the neighboring properties to help in my managemnet whether they like it or not. and since i put very little hunting pressure on my land the deer use it as a safe haven.
Well my veiw on 34 acres not being enough to hunt mean just that, you actually are hunting it. 34 acres of groundwill not provide you with enough opportunities to hunt successfully. Most guys want to be in the woods and will not pass up their time to get into the woods if the conditions don't fit that woods. Bump deer out of a 34 acre tract 2 or three times and it is good night irene for you season (out side of luck).

I stand by my view that 34 acres will not support a single hunter from bowseason through firearms then through muzzleloader/late archery assuming he/she is in the woods 2-3 times a week (mimimum). To much pressure even if you don't think your applying pressure.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no problem with deer leaving and coming back to my area. it fills their needs. main water source dense cover and beding areas.
i will agree that you will not be able to hunt that much on smaller tracts. but that is the reason i do so much preperation. it eliminates the need to hunt that much. i know when and where the deer come through and at what time so i dont have to sit in a stand for hundreds of hours to get results. I also only allow limited rifle hunting and very limited muzzleloader hunting. i try to limit my self to one rifle or muzzleloader kill per year.
Of course i also have multiple properties that i can hunt if i need to. and it took me many years to get them so i hold the same practices if not stricter on others land.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Spike

Unless you can regulate what is going on with the property around you its gunna be a LUCK game your playin. Im thinking a little different than most everyone else. DONT shot anymore does than what you need for meat and and make your little area a refuge where the little bucks will come in for the does and can HOPEFULLY survive till they are older. Thicker the cover the better and some kind of a year round feed would be good and when you see some little bucks put up a camera and see if the bigger ones are coming to the feed at night. Without your neighbors letting the young one go and shooting does its gunna be tough.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Spike

Kevin1 is right. thread #10
Old 08-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

you got too many does, you know what happens to the buck fawns that are born to those does, the does will run them out of the country,,,so like mentioned before, less does will equal greater compitition for the remaining does
Old 08-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Spike

I would say if that 34 acres is all you're hunting you might be over hunting it, doesnt take much for the big guys to disapear until an area cools down from hunting pressure. When you do hunt it hunt only the extreme edges and leave the rest for sanctuary.