Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How do you balance deer hunting time with your career? >

How do you balance deer hunting time with your career?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you balance deer hunting time with your career?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you balance deer hunting time with your career?

One week a year !?!

I work to live, not live to work. The way I look at my "job" ... all was well before I got here. I give 110% to keep it that way while I am on the job. And I give 0% to the job when I am "off". The job will be well done long after I am worm-food. Long live the job!!

I hunt when I can go. I pay zero attention to any of the hoopla such as moon phase, weather conditions, hunter pressure, odd numbered leap years, sun spots, etc. All that may count, well maybe I exaggerated a couple, but I do no "planning" around any of that sort of stuff, other than watch carefully the development of and then try be in the woods 4-5 days around the peak of the doe's estrus cycle.

I probably average 45+ days /season hunting deer alone. After I retire, health permitting, that will probably double.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

lol, good post.

i don't fit hunting into my full time job, i fit my full time job into my hunting.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I plan all my days in the woods around the peak estrous time. After, or in fact before that also, I am in the woods as much as possible, because in the long run, regardless of how great a hunter people think they are, it comes down to being in the right place at the right time. The more time you spend in the woods, the better the chance of that happening. All the things, well, most of 'em, that Mojotex mentions, help in those determinations. At least for me, and in the long run, that's what counts, when hunting mature buck. Speaking solely of what works and has worked for me.

Without a doubt, the best factor, in fact the MOST important factor in being successful in that endeavor is hunting where they're at. Kinda tuff taking one if it's not there.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

What is this career thing you speak of???
Old 06-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: halfrack VIII

isnt high school great, i get home at 2:45 and then walk out the door drive ten minutes and hunt whenever i want.
The same goes for us High School teachers!!! I get out many afternoons during the bird hunting and bow seasons here in NY.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

im a full time student so i hunt on the weekends and sometime i take off school during the rut and when gun season comes. I sometimes hunt in the morning before school and after school when i get all my work done
Old 06-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

I own my own carpentry business installing cabinets.So if i want to take off i just put it into my schedule.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: birdhunter75

ORIGINAL: halfrack VIII

isnt high school great, i get home at 2:45 and then walk out the door drive ten minutes and hunt whenever i want.
The same goes for us High School teachers!!! I get out many afternoons during the bird hunting and bow seasons here in NY.
so you've got it set for quite some time and i have only one more year
Old 06-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Spike

Quit your job!
Old 06-28-2009, 01:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

60+ hours a week on average makes up for my playtime. As the owner of the company knowbody can say a thing about where or what i do. I will admit though the past few years with expansion needed to meet the demands I had to cut back a fair bit on my hunting days. This year I'm hoping to get back closer to normal for days in the field, typically 30+days spent hunting.Have a week end of august for archery elk inked, penciled in 5 days for moose in oct, penciled in antelope - weekend trips - depends on drawing a tag sept thru oct, penciled in Mule deer depends on drawing a tag -7-10 days hunting (oct thru mid november) & chasing whitetails inked sept thru dec at least 7 days total will be spent hunting.

Quick Reply: How do you balance deer hunting time with your career?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.