Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer scents

Old 12-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Spike

Default Doe in estrus

I used a scent wick soaked in Golden Estrus this year and was surprised. Three does were coming in and smelled the key wick I had out and ran like crazy to get out of there. I had one in my cross hairs at the time too. Definitely peeeed me off.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

I don't waste my money with that junk. They know different smells, if someone comes into your house wearing strong perfume or cologne you know right away. And as good as a deer's senses are, I've been burned more times than it has helped.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

To those of you who are against using scented or unscented cover sprays, etc, would you go into the woods smelling like a human pile of crap? I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just playing devil's advocate to figure out where you draw the line. But seriously, if you had a choice (i.e. not out on a week-long expedition), would you hunt several days in a row and not bother showering or changing/washing your stinking clothes, etc? Because what I'm hearing is that no matter what you do or don't deer, if a deer is gonna smell you, it's gonna smell you, regardless if you cover your scent, smell like regular clean human, or smell like stinky, nasty-ass human.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Spike

My uncle has killed sevral time after getting off work from the garage he worked in and going straight to the stand to get in a quick hunt before dark..smaelling like gas..engine oil and cigar smoke to hi heaven...who knows man...deer are a peculair creature on any given day IMHO.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I rub weeds and pine needles on my clothes. Of course I shower and keep my clothes scent free. I have never used urine or any other store bought scent, and yes Crokit, that's pretty gross.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Spike

This will be the first season i try the Tinks Smokin Sticks - All Season during my early season deer hunt this weekend..i am going to use it in conjunction with light rattling and see what happens. I'll try to remember to post my results although i only have 1.5 days to hunt lol...dunno if thats enuff time to provide decent feedback but worth a shot
Old 10-01-2011, 04:04 AM
Fork Horn

I hunted yesterday, and saw more deer, and more deer closer to me ?and hanging out near me, and bedding down near me) than I ever have in my life.

I did two things different from my normal routine.

First, I walked to the stand in the early am using a green flashlight. Not sure if that really works, but an animal scientist I know said many animals (he wasn't sure about deer) do t see inthat color spectrum and so green light wouldnt startle them.

Second, I used scents to covermy smell. I sprayed Deer Dander on my boots and legs at the truck. 20 minutes later, the first thing I did in my stand was spray doe urine in the air around me.

Later in the morning, I had a few does and a bunch of fawns grazing about 30 yards from me. Wind shifted and both does immediately popped their heads up. A spray of doe pee calmed them down.

I'm sold
Old 06-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Spike

Kishel’s Scents has a few good deer scents out there too. Buck Thrasher II is good because it doesn’t matter during what part of the season you use it. And NO SHELF LIFE...
http://store.kishelscents.com/produc...uck-thrasher-2
Old 06-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Typical Buck

For the past 10 years I have used Conquest scents, they have a deer heard stick that smells like a deer. I spoke with Doug Roberts the owner several years ago and he advised that it was made out of the beds of deer on there farms. Deer come in they are not jumpy and stuff. When the rut starts up I add there VS-1 to to my bag of tricks. These cost a little more but if you save the clear cap that is under the black cap, come the end of season any product left over simply place the clear cap then the black cap back on them and store in a cool place like the top of a closet or something and it will be good for the next season. Good Hunting.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scent-a-way

Scent a way fresh earth scent eliminator... and this year I'm gonna try useing up the Rosemary that I have a over abundance of in the garden... gonna rub it all overe my clothes and shoes... and then hang a few sprigs from the stand.... and be careful with all the SO CALLED ATTRACTANTS, cause they ALL contain some form of salt. And if your not allowed to bait... salt is a NO NO...

Quick Reply: deer scents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.