HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   hunting in the rain? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/296073-hunting-rain.html)

elizebeth 06-16-2009 02:19 AM

hunting in the rain?

anybody got tips for hunting in the rain? i got rained out of work today and wanted to go out hunting, but do they move freely in the rain?
thanks, and good luck to all!

rustynobles 06-16-2009 09:19 AM

RE: hunting in the rain?

get a rain suit (camouflage). back about 10 years ago my dad got a free one from outdoor life for renewing his subscription. he didn't like it, so i took it. it's great, it's just a thin vinyl suit that keeps the rain off of you and keeps your scent down.it will also keep you warm in the winter when worn over a regular coat. i keep it with me at all times during deer season just in case. it's also handy if i've forgotten my camo (been known to happen when rushing to get to work), just slip it over what i'm wearing and roll with it. if you get an all plastic one like mine they're pretty cheap. the only downside is, they're kinda noisy, but when it's raining they can't tell anyway.

crokit 06-16-2009 01:37 PM

W hat are you hunting this time of year, and does " what " move freely "?

fastetti 06-16-2009 03:26 PM

I'm curious about this as well. What are you hunting in the middle of June. You posted this in the Deer hunting section so I assume you misposted but still curious on what you are hunting in mid June.

mossberghunter93 06-16-2009 03:54 PM

im wonderieng the same thing, btw i like to hunt in the rain it helps cut down on the noise and it helps me blend in

crokit 06-16-2009 04:11 PM

I love hunting deer in the rain, but not thrilled about doing it in archery season. To chancey as far as lost deer potential, just MO.

FlDeerman 06-16-2009 08:14 PM

Hunting in rain is great during gun but never during bow season.

SWThomas 06-17-2009 04:29 AM

I've always had good luck hunting in the rain.

J The Deer Slayer 06-18-2009 09:31 AM

Hunting in the rain is a lot of fun. It's easier to sneak around when everything is wet.

If you're talking about deer... From my experiences, when it's raining the deer like to bed down. Just take a walk and if you get close enough to a deer it will jump up and run off. I always bring out the .357 mag for a quick shot. If you're not close enough to were they run they will stay hidden. Deer are hard to spot when they are laying down, but if you see one just keep walking and act like you didn't see it. A lot of times you only see a little movement when they hear you coming. I just get up behind a pretty big tree and then lean out so I can get a shot off. I've killed 4 deer like this.