Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need help with GA whitetail

Old 06-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Spike

Default Need help with GA whitetail

I just signed up on a lease this year in south east GA close to the town of Hoboken, GA... I live in FL now and am originally from WV. So my problem is I have no idea how to hunt this land... the land I'm hunting on is flat land and is a pine tree farm owned by a loggin company and I have no idea about how to scout these areas or what to look for other than the norm such a trails, scrapes, rubs (all I have found so far is trails)... not sure what the deer here use as a food source being that there is mostly just pines. Anyway if anyone has any insight on how and where the best places to setup a stand on a property like this or how to go about scouting it PLEASE HELP! the land has dirt roads going all around the property and I was thinkin about settin up on one of the dirt roads where a trail comes through and maybe put a through feeder and maybe some mineral licks out... other than that I dunno how predictable the deer on this type of property are... anyway here’s a pic of what all the land pretty much looks like:
http://www.progressiveforestry.com/i...county_600.jpg
the property is several hundred acres
Thanks for any help!

Old 06-16-2009, 05:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Need help with GA whitetail

Get the best newest maps of the area you can get, both topographic and aerial. Note any food plots or other things that are on the tract. If it is a lease, there are probably restrictions, rules that you have to have to adhere to. Where are the other hunters established stands? How many other hunters? You can walk a lot of the property and look for last seasons hooking and scrapes, usually the same areas are used every year. Another member that will help you is the best bet.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a pack of deer dogs and run them out . Seriously, deer browse alot in thinned/plantation cut pines. Thisbrowse feed is usually the smaller undergrowth (unless the pines have been sprayed with herbicide in order to collect the pine straw). I would suggestfinding some trails and putting up a couple game cameras on them. I would also suggest planting some food plots too, or even 'test' plots to see where a majorityof the deer are located.The bestpart about hunting in the thinned pines is that you have the advantage of sight distance by climbing 25-30 ft in a pine and glassing the area. My dad took alot ofbuckswhen we hunted in GA by doing this.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in the same area as Bryant hunts and do alot of hunting in the flatwoods. I try to focus on the young browse like briar bushes and honeysuckle. The young growth seems to draw alot of deer to them. If you find a patch of undergrowth take a look for the young growth on the tops of the plants and then look for bite marks on the growth this will help you to track down the preferance of browse. I would also look for the bigger deer tracks on the roads and get off the trail a little and run a camera on the trail. Get the results from the camera then try to put it altogether with the feeding patterns in conjunction with the travel routes. It may not help but good luck with the hunting.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

find the lone oak tree or hardwood bottom and set up on it when the acorns start to fall,if you have some that is.The deer will be on them hard as soon as they hit the ground.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

I was hunting in hoboken year before last they doubled the dues and I said the heck with itno oaks out there nothing but pines. Man find youa trail they are useing regular and setup your stand where you can watch itget you a fedder you aint even got to do that just get you some corn and throw it out and get them in there befor the season starts just remember you cant hunt over bait in GA. If you got a place to plant a food plot get you one of them goin.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your questions should be addressed directly to TR Michaels. He is the lone authority.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Spike

Thanks guys I'll take yalls advice into consideration when i head up to start scoutin... And by the way since you can’t hunt over bait in GA does that mean its ok to put out a feeder and hunt in the vicinity of it as long as yur not directly over it? I really appreciate the helpful posts keep em comin!
Old 06-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in SW GA and the land I am on is 90% pines. What I do is walk the firebreaks between the pine and try to find the most crossed areas. I also found the main feeding area and the bedding area and that led to a fire break with the most activity. I put up a 14ft. tripod on the downwind side and started shooting deer.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

Travis E you can not be within sight of the bait you have out where you hunt. If im not mistaken you can put your bait out all year long but you cant hunt over it for 14 daysI think, so that all of the bait is gone even then if you go out to hunt that spot if the GW sees even a peice of whatever you put out he will give you a ticket happend to one of the guys I work with.