Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When is the rut?

Old 06-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When is the rut?

ORIGINAL: trmichels

Here in Minnesota peak breeding occurs during the week before November 12, regardless of when the full moon occurs. 200 days after that (which is their gestation period) fawns are born - which is about the last week of May first week of June, which is when temperartures have been above 32 degrees long enought that there is new green growth.

I'm not talking about astronomical spring, I'm talking about phenological spring (when new green growth appears). Forget the equinox ... It has nothing to do with breeding or fawning. Deer are on a solar calendar, not a lunar calendar.

If you got it - I'm glad I could help. I'm only here to dispel myths and tell the truth.

Deer do not just see black and white, they are red/green color blind; they see blue, yellow, brown and gray, but not red or green.

Neither female deer nor elk have an "estrus" call or female "in heat" call.

The "chuckle" call of a hen mallard is not a feeding call, it is an "incitement" call (similar to a threat) that often occurs in a feeding situation.

God bless,

T.R.

These post of yours proves several things: The fall equinox DOES set into motion the rut; the peak occurs 30-50 days after[ which, even though coincidentally falls during the second new moon after,]- check out where Nov.12 fits in with the second new moon after the fall equinox for the past 25 years- { who said anything about FULL MOON, other than you ? oh yeah, bait and switch }and your bait and switch mentallity throughout ALL your posts, but particularly the last one addressing me, is a clear indication that more than just a little bit of you is a phony.

Oh yeah, I GOT IT long before you came on the scene. I just thank God I had Fred Bear and Howard Hill to learn from and not TR. It just blows me away that some folks take your drivel as " word ". That being said, I will agree with one point, you are entertaining, but you need to work on being able to hide the bait and switches a little more effectively.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Spike

I think if we could figure out when rut starts....there would be no deer left...lol
Old 06-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

In N.Fla. it was mid January,if you want to see a wild time for the rut look at the Key deer in South Fla.I read it's in August
Old 06-17-2009, 04:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

What makes you think I'm not successful - at least as successful as Charlie? nd it what way.
First thing show me where I said you're not succesful Then ask a 1,000deer hunters if they know whocharlie alsheimer is then ask them if they know who T.R. Michaels is?

Charlie is a born again Christian (he told he is), so are you refering to him???
Where would you get that from you're the one that bad mouthed him not me. I don't know the man. I've met alot of born again christians that are trash, that's all.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Strange how the original question of when is the rut in Alabama has strayed.

The time of the peak rut varies throughout the country and it doesn't seemthere is agreementwhy it does occur at a certain time. No given theory fits all deer peak rut times.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

It usually comes sometime between when I start going into the woods to hunt and when I stop going into the woods to hunt...does this help anyone?
Old 06-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

It seems to me like a few of the more thought out approaches have basically the same conclusion and time frame. Perhaps there is something valid in many of these posts. In any case, I respect that TR would put so much information out there and contribute to the topic. You don't have to agree word for word but if you didn't get something from his detailed explanation than you were simply reading and replying out of spite.

I don't know him, I vaguely heard of him..but always welcome a fresh well thought out contribution. Come into the Bowhunting area TR we're more friendly...
Old 06-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Strange how the original question of when is the rut in Alabama has strayed.

The time of the peak rut varies throughout the country and it doesn't seemthere is agreementwhy it does occur at a certain time. No given theory fits all deer peak rut times.
The rut occurs at a certain time everywhere, IMHO, when it allows the optimum timing for off spring to survive. As I stated in one of my earliest posts, evolution. In fact, dare I say[:'(], TR repeated much of what that post offered, which is par for the course.
In our neck of the woods, peak of the rut happens to be at, near, or during the second new moon after the fall equinox. There is simply no arguement to refute it. There was never an attempt to say, at least by me, that it was governed by moon cycle. It's simply the number of days that follow the equinox. Like JPIKE stated, the lack of minutes in a day starts the clock ticking.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

It seems to me like a few of the more thought out approaches have basically the same conclusion and time frame. Perhaps there is something valid in many of these posts. In any case, I respect that TR would put so much information out there and contribute to the topic. You don't have to agree word for word but if you didn't get something from his detailed explanation than you were simply reading and replying out of spite.

I don't know him, I vaguely heard of him..but always welcome a fresh well thought out contribution. Come into the Bowhunting area TR we're more friendly...

Probably what causes the most grief for the dude is his condensending attitude when someone disagrees with him. I don't even have a problem with the free advertisement that the Mods. , for some strange reason allows him to garner. Much of what he states doesn't bring fresh ideas to the table, but recycled old facts and twists on other folks' ideas and knowledge. The bait and switch tactics that he uses throughout the history of his posts loses all his credibility, speaking for myself alone. Yeah, it may be useful for someone who hasn't a clue, or simply new to the game.
The way I stomach it the best is that it is entertainment, and I really can't help but chuckle at the gullibility of some.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: appleater25

It usually comes sometime between when I start going into the woods to hunt and when I stop going into the woods to hunt...does this help anyone?
Sure..
As an advid fisherman and hunter, I myself, pay particular attention to the June and July chinook salmon runs.
I find there is a direct corillation as to whenmigratory fish spawn and migratory animals rut.
Last year the run was almost 2 weeks later than norm, and the rut was 10 dayspast the norm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.