Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When is the rut?

Old 06-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: When is the rut?

Google "Whitetail Rut Dates" to find out when the biologists in your state think the one (1) week of peak breeding occurs.

God bless,

T.R.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: crbaker123

Enough J Pike,
Like I said my theory may be totally coincidental but you still have no right to bash it.
Yes your right states do studies and say when the rut will be buttheir studies are like a weather man predicting the weather.
we all know how predictions are nothing more than an educated guess and every year i have hunted the researchers were not correct with their studies doesnt mean they were not close some years but never right.

for example in oregon in 2005 the rut started Oct 20 area
oregon in 2006 the rut started late November
oregon in 2007 the rut started early november
oregon in 2008 the rut started about the 15 of october
for 2009? a week after a hard frost enough said
oh and with those dates whats ur guess on the with in 2-4 days thing? what can you go off of the dates are not even close.
tell me those dates are with in two days
get over yourself just because a f*cking scientist or in this case a biologist says one thing does not mean that it will happen. they cant predict the future!
Chill out Homer. Rut dates are not simple predictions. They are based on hard science and years and years of data collection.
Where did you get your Oregon data? Did you look up frost dates or something and add a week?
As Pike has (nicely) stated, the rut in whitetails does not fluctuate by more than a few days from region to region. It doesn't.
The fact that the rut happened a week after a frost was just a coincidence. Really it was.
Since you don't believe Pike, I have a suggestion. Call your local biologist. You'd be amazed at how much those guys know.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Crbaker, it seems to me you are the one who is insulting, not Pike. He was just politely disagreeing with you, not trying to start a fight. BTW, he is right. A first frost has nothing to do with the start of the rut. You saw more daylight activity probably because of cool weather.I believe it was just coincidence. Where I hunt, the rut almost always takes place at the same time year in year out, which is the 2nd or 3rd week in Nov., and then a secondary rut in early to mid Dec. Regardless of how warm or cold it is, they will rut around the same time each year, give or take a week. If it's warm, then most activity is going to be at night. Sometimes the rut will come and go, and you will never see any activity because of warm weather. Just 100 miles to the east of where I hunt, the deer rut early to mid Jan.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

Fish Guts and Super Strutter,

You guys are wise in your ways, and you hve not been bamboozeled by deer "experts" who think the rut varies from year to year. I commend you.

God bless,

T.R.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:41 PM

^^^HA!^^^

Old 06-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: trmichels

Fish Guts and Super Strutter,

You guys are wise in your ways, and you hve not been bamboozeled by deer "experts" who think the rut varies from year to year. I commend you.

God bless,

T.R.
What makes you think you are God's gift to deer hunting? What makes you think you know more than I or anyone else on this forum?You are right, I am wise. I'll put my knowledge and ability up against anyone. Yes, even you oh mighty one.Deer experts my ass. I know what I have experienced, and havebeen pretty damn successful. The rut does vary, butusually not more thana week or so.I have had no problem with you until this post. Now here you are no different than the ones bashing you. Enlighten us oh mighty deer expert. Tell us all how you can guarantee a trophy buck in any situation. Tell us when the bucks rut. I think we all know when our area bucks rut, so please spare us the insults.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

Boy did you take my post wrong. Sorry.

god bless,

T.R.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

No need to get into a pi$$ing contest, but as far as i can tell frost has squat to do with the timing of the does going into heat. We've had frosts in mid September here in Birmingham. Rut is still mid January +/- a week or so - at least that has been the case for the past 40 or so years. I cannot vouch for frost times anywhere else with any certainty. But near Camden, Ar, area, for the past 20 or so years, the peak has been mid-November +/- a week. Every research article points to a day-light length kick off ... which has to be 1000's of years ingrained I would think.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've kept fairly detailed records through the years. and the best I can tell, in our region-Southern tier of NY- the full blown rut occurs during/at the second new moon after the fall solistice. That's a rule of thumb that I have planned hunts around for more than 30 years. I fully believe { at the risk of sounding too sceintific } that the decreasing amount of daylight, as registered through/via the optic nerve to a DOES pituitary gland triggers the action. Whether the theories right or not-think placebo-the timing seems to correlate. It does fall within a week or so year to year.

What really gets stretched out is the length of the rut, at times, because of weather,breeding, pressure issues, etc. IMHO.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

In the area of Alabama south of Montgomery, the rut will start around the middle of January and the bucks will scrape and chase does into April. Nothing to do with frost or the lunar time. I don't think there is anything concrete to the theory about the length of daylight as there are different times of the rut starting and there isn't but one sun and one earth spinning to make the daylight length. If anybody can explain that I would be very interested in the explanation. I think it has more to do with the genetics of where the deer in your area were stocked from (in the50's and early 60's I understand there was a bad blacktongue epidemic that wiped outmostof the deer inAlabama and the deer were stocked from different herds throughout the U.S.) and the number of over populated does in your area. The stocking herds had developed their time of the rut due to climate and the developing available foragefor the does and fawns before the next winter hits. This rut timing in the different areas of the U.S. took place over thousands of years. T.R., do you have an opinion about that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.