HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What is the worst deer hunting state? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/294684-what-worst-deer-hunting-state.html)

Cornelius08 05-25-2009 08:20 AM

What is the worst deer hunting state?

I see poll going about what is best states all the time. Curious as to what guys from across the country think is the WORST deer hunting states. Overall in general. No right or wrong answers, just seeing what the perceptions are. I listed some that are regularly complained about and some that just arent really talked about all that much in regard to deer hunting.

timbercruiser 05-25-2009 10:44 AM

RE: What is the worst deer hunting state?

I think most of those states are fairly good for hunting. I don't think I've ever heard or read of anybody going to hunt in Connecticut tho???

Edcyclopedia 05-25-2009 11:22 AM

Strange/funny poll...
I've only hunted 3 states, my home state of NH - pretty good.
Ala. - lot's of Doe's
TX. - many deer

So not much help, unfortunately, however, if you can get some private land in CT. my buddy has done real well (4 bucks over 200lb.).
I'm sure there are good spots and bad spots in every state.:eek:

Although you don't hear about Cali. too often???

Ryan Campbell 05-25-2009 11:33 AM

I not sure which state would be worse but I'd have to go with any state that has no hunting on Sunday laws.Also, any state that has unreasonably restrictive seasons that are based on the opinions of PETA clones and not on science, and game census'.

Cornelius08 05-25-2009 11:40 AM

Some good points. There are, Im sure good spots in every state. Thats why i said overall/in general. I also agree there may be a couple other contenders. Didnt want to list them all, so just put "other" and left it open for discussion.

deerhunter729 05-25-2009 12:12 PM

I don't understand how South Carolina is on here for the worst deerhunting state. We may not have the quality of deer, but we make up for it in numbers. That is why we have the longest deer season in the nation. I've lived here and hunted here all my life and the quality of deer are also coming up. Last year alone we had one of the best years for deer going in the books. Other than that what else are you using to through South Carolina into this mix.

Cornelius08 05-25-2009 12:24 PM

basically, deerhunter729, I included SC as being on there because ive heard and read about them through the years referred to as very poor qualitywise generally speaking. True or not, that perspective is definately out there. Had relatives hunt there through the years for deer and they too have said the same. Though the numbers are good. I couldve just as easily made that Florida, or other state... I dont necessarily think all the states listed are very poor. Just wanting to see what others think basically, and lets face it, none of those listed will be confused with Iowa, Illinois or Kansas anytime soon.

Btw, I love SC. Great weather, and enjoy huntin' feral hogs down their once in awhile.

deerhunter729 05-25-2009 12:31 PM

Cornileus, I can agree with that statement. We do have the numbers but not the quality. I do hunt Kansas and the averge buck out there are mosters out here. I just was wanting to know the basis of the claim and I can agree with it. But hopefully the jump we have seen inthe last two years is no a freak accident and people around here are starting to realize that once a spike always a spike isn't true. I'm hoping when my kids grow up the quality of deer will be much better here. We have good terrain and good food year round. If we could start managing better. We would be better off.

IL-Cornfed 05-25-2009 01:43 PM

In my opinion, the "worst" state would have to be the state that has the most limited availability of hunting land followed by extreme hunting pressure on the remaining ground. I would suspect that this would narrow things down to some of the New England states?

Cornelius08 05-25-2009 02:10 PM

Deerhunter, I agree completely with all.

ILcornfed, Id say that a reasonable deduction.

bluebird2 05-25-2009 02:34 PM

While it is difficult to compare the quality of deer hunting in various states do the large number of variables, I would say that the PGC did more to reduce the quality of deer hunting in PA than any other state, as a result of political pressure exerted by the DCNR.

Cornelius08 05-25-2009 03:44 PM

Thats unfortunately true bluebird. Also some states have had their game management practices mal-effected by hunting nonfriendly factions, antihunters influencing game management in California, New Jersey, environmentalist extremists dictating things in Pennsylvania and possibly a couple of others.

Nonhunters are playing a big role in game management these days moreso than ever. As society gets further and further from the hunting lifestyle, in increasing number of cases, so are the wildlife management agencies. That is but another factor that strongly effects hunter satisfaction.

NorCal 05-25-2009 05:15 PM

If I may toss my two cents worth in to this discussion. While there are some truly large deer here in California, they're difficult to find unless you're hunting private property. I've been hunting here for 43 yrs, and a time was when you would lose count of all the deer you saw. Nowadays you'll keep count with one hand. Depending on who you talk to will determine the "reason" why. For those of you who live states with healthy herds, I'm happy for you and wish you a good hunt.

timbercruiser 05-25-2009 05:41 PM

I would go with the states that have those 7 or so days of hunting and the real limited number of deer you can harvest. Around here you can hunt from mid Oct till the end of Feb and keep a truckload......

xkmorris 05-26-2009 03:02 AM

Arkansas is the worst!!! You all go somewhere else to hunt don't come down here!!!!

Western MA Hunter 05-26-2009 04:12 AM

you may want to consider putting on Massachusetts as well..

rustynobles 05-26-2009 04:13 AM

i voted nj, and with good reason. have you heard the armondo piopi jr. story? look it up, it's pathetic.

popeye 05-26-2009 05:24 AM

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

In my opinion, the "worst" state would have to be the state that has the most limited availability of hunting land followed by extreme hunting pressure on the remaining ground. I would suspect that this would narrow things down to some of the New England states?
I guess Rhodes Island would fit that discription, my apologizes to all the RI hunters on the board.

Best or Worst is very subjective depending on the hunter. At the extremes are die hard trophy hunters, if it doesn't book they dont shoot, and the meat hunter who is concerned only with having a nice dinner.

For me, the worst would be a place with limited space, limted numbers of deer, high number of hunters and a short seasonwith no chance of taking a good buck. Since I'm not interested in finding those areas I have no idea where it might be located.

Edcyclopedia 05-26-2009 05:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Western MA Hunter

you may want to consider putting on Massachusetts as well..

WHY???!!!:)

kevin1 05-26-2009 07:28 AM

Indiana is the hands down worst, we don't even have any deer here, stay away. ;)

Jimmy S 05-26-2009 09:36 PM

Tough question to answer. I honestly don't understand what the definition of 'worse' means.

If it means the toughest state to tag a deer, I would agree with the previous reply that mentioned the New England states.
I have hunted areas of NH and Maine that has a deer population of less than 10 deer/sq mile. Tough hunting and you can go days without ever seeing a deer.

These states also have some of the biggest bucks found anywhere. One of my hunting buddy tagged a big old buck that dressed at 269 pounds.
Yes, tough hunting but also very rewarding. It keeps the adreneline flowing!!

ElkNutz 05-27-2009 03:26 AM

Colorado don't waste your money.:eek:

Redclub 05-27-2009 03:53 AM

It says hunting (if I am correct) and that means a place to hunt,Don't mean a thing if they have a ton of deer but a person cannot hunt without spending a fortune, Look at Texas more deer than anywhere,but all private land,paying a guide just isn't hunting to me (some states require for some animals). Its fun but not real hunting. I live and own land in Central Wi. and have a very good deer herd. But you better know someone or have a checkbook. Now Northern Wi. The deer herd is way down but tons of very good places to hunt with very little pressure. Thats great hunting to me.
RC

4evrhtn 05-27-2009 04:38 AM

Give Pa about 10 more years under the current plan and we will top the list.

GRIZZLYMAN 05-27-2009 05:29 AM

I don't know how you came to make the list those states. Louisiana has improved a lot in the last few years from what I hear. I have hunted in Arkansas all of my life and would take it over Texas, where I live. There are some good bucks that come out of Arkansas, but you don't hear about them like you do other states. For quantity, the south central part of the state is as good as they come.

Rory/MO 05-27-2009 07:06 AM

no deer in Missouri

Lanse couche couche 05-27-2009 07:19 AM

Louisiana has improved drastically over the last decade or so. Their DMAP project worked out pretty good in southwest Louisiana. They are now killing some decent bucks in places where you would not have even seen a deer in the mid-90s. Of course, accessing the land to hunt them is another issue.

bugsNbows 05-27-2009 08:46 AM

F L O R I D A. Too hot. Too buggy. Too full of butheads. Too small deer.

muzzyman88 05-27-2009 10:58 AM

This vote doesn't surprise me. I would like to see this done on an unbiased website other than HNI. We have way too many naysayers on here to run a poll like this. Take into account that only 11 votes were for PA out of who knows how many total votes. I bet I can name most of the 11 that voted for PA.

Cornelius08 05-27-2009 12:34 PM

muzzyman, if a NATIONAL website isnt unbiased enough, maybe hpa the Pennsylvania game commission /environmentalist sounding board IS? LMAO!!

Dissenting views of the deer plan are grounds for being booted on that politically driven site. But Im sure you dont need me to tell you.

Mighty funny any site where those who disagree with the Pa deer program are permitted to exist is "biased" ?

And its not "god knows how many votes" its 11 out of 47....and there 50 states. Thats basically a quarter of all votes going to pgc and another going to Jersey. The other 48 states account for the rest of the vote. Hunter satisfaction in Pa is at an all time low, and I dont think we needed a "poll" to know that. Our game commission is being sued...Prevented a fee increase by legislators because of mismanagement, being audited, and we're losing hunters at over double the national average... Ha ha ha. But this poll is biased? LMAO![:'(] Do internet searches on yahoo or google. Any article on the topic where a comment can be left, there are almost nothing but bad. Compare to any other state in a search. No comparison.

" I bet I can name most of the 11 that voted for PA"

And I'll bet I can name several of the usual PGC buttkissers who DIDNT pick Pa.... So what?? Are we not all entitled to our votes?:eek:

BTW, Im sure youve seen, in the northeast thread in the past, that I provided links to several polls from 4 different websites and by an overwhelming margin (usually in 70-80 percentile range), NONE favored pgc on the topics of hunter satisfaction, support for certain policies, do they deserve fee increase etc. I guess all those were "biased" too? Funny thing, the only "favorable" votes, EVER come from HPA, where the damage control crew of dcnr guys, pgc employees and audubon nuts do their promotion. LMAO.

BTBowhunter 05-27-2009 03:53 PM

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

This vote doesn't surprise me. I would like to see this done on an unbiased website other than HNI. We have way too many naysayers on here to run a poll like this. Take into account that only 11 votes were for PA out of who knows how many total votes. I bet I can name most of the 11 that voted for PA.
There were 11 votes but based some recent history, of a few PA members,that could be 2-3 guys;)(betwe could bothname them too! LOL)

Cornelius08 05-27-2009 04:10 PM

The only one proven to vote "multiple" on any poll was btb. He conveniently used a "camp" LMAO ID to vote twice on a poll, which STILL didnt favor his viewpoint. To accuse anyone else is laughable and if you suspect such, please contact administration. If Im not mistaken thats against the rules. For everyone except you I guess.[:'(]

Summitsitter 05-27-2009 05:16 PM

Hawaii!

shawnfogelman 05-28-2009 12:49 AM

Pennsylvania??? That shouldn't even be up there as one of the worst. Try Florida! Thank God i'm in Ohio, "Buckeye" country.

Cornelius08 05-28-2009 11:58 AM

The absolute worst or not, Pa definately deserves to be on the list. Ecoextremists dictating manangement and deer density goals as low as any state in the country say it must be so! (LOL) Worst is debatable. The fact Pa belongs in a list of the bottom 5 or 6 imho is not debatable.

I agree abouit Ohio. And I am envious. LOL. Hard to believe Ohio and Pa are geographically side by side. Deer huntingwise we are worlds apart.

bayou_buckslayer 05-28-2009 12:20 PM

louisiana shouldnt even been in there :D

appleater25 05-28-2009 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Summitsitter

Hawaii!
THATS WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY...pretty poor for whitetails!

MeatHunter2 05-29-2009 08:53 AM

Hmmmm, a poll that lasted less than 2 days. Guess it wasn't getting the results the poster was trolling for. You naysayers are so predictable. Guess that's because theres so few of you and you all drink the same cool-aid that jimmy provides.

FlDeerman 05-29-2009 06:36 PM

I would have to say Hawaii I don't think they even have deer.They are a state.:eek:

NJheadhunter71 05-29-2009 08:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Cornelius08

Thats unfortunately true bluebird. Also some states have had their game management practices mal-effected by hunting non friendly factions, antihunters influencing game management in California, New Jersey, environmentalist extremists dictating things in Pennsylvania and possibly a couple of others.

Non hunters are playing a big role in game management these days moreso than ever. As society gets further and further from the hunting lifestyle, in increasing number of cases, so are the wildlife management agencies. That is but another factor that strongly effects hunter satisfaction.
I agree 100% that is why I fight the establishment every time I am in the woods. If it means not shooting a a doe to satisfy an earn a buck tag in an area already depleatedthan so be it. If it means ignoring some of the stupid non hunter laws put in place toplease the non hunting public than so be it.

That is all I have to say about that.