Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What is the worst deer hunting state? >

What is the worst deer hunting state?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is the worst deer hunting state?

Old 05-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is the worst deer hunting state?

While it is difficult to compare the quality of deer hunting in various states do the large number of variables, I would say that the PGC did more to reduce the quality of deer hunting in PA than any other state, as a result of political pressure exerted by the DCNR.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Banned

Thats unfortunately true bluebird. Also some states have had their game management practices mal-effected by hunting nonfriendly factions, antihunters influencing game management in California, New Jersey, environmentalist extremists dictating things in Pennsylvania and possibly a couple of others.

Nonhunters are playing a big role in game management these days moreso than ever. As society gets further and further from the hunting lifestyle, in increasing number of cases, so are the wildlife management agencies. That is but another factor that strongly effects hunter satisfaction.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Spike

If I may toss my two cents worth in to this discussion. While there are some truly large deer here in California, they're difficult to find unless you're hunting private property. I've been hunting here for 43 yrs, and a time was when you would lose count of all the deer you saw. Nowadays you'll keep count with one hand. Depending on who you talk to will determine the "reason" why. For those of you who live states with healthy herds, I'm happy for you and wish you a good hunt.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would go with the states that have those 7 or so days of hunting and the real limited number of deer you can harvest. Around here you can hunt from mid Oct till the end of Feb and keep a truckload......
Old 05-26-2009, 03:02 AM
Spike

Arkansas is the worst!!! You all go somewhere else to hunt don't come down here!!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 04:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

you may want to consider putting on Massachusetts as well..

Old 05-26-2009, 04:13 AM
Fork Horn

i voted nj, and with good reason. have you heard the armondo piopi jr. story? look it up, it's pathetic.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:24 AM

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

In my opinion, the "worst" state would have to be the state that has the most limited availability of hunting land followed by extreme hunting pressure on the remaining ground. I would suspect that this would narrow things down to some of the New England states?
I guess Rhodes Island would fit that discription, my apologizes to all the RI hunters on the board.

Best or Worst is very subjective depending on the hunter. At the extremes are die hard trophy hunters, if it doesn't book they dont shoot, and the meat hunter who is concerned only with having a nice dinner.

For me, the worst would be a place with limited space, limted numbers of deer, high number of hunters and a short seasonwith no chance of taking a good buck. Since I'm not interested in finding those areas I have no idea where it might be located.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Western MA Hunter

you may want to consider putting on Massachusetts as well..
WHY???!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Indiana is the hands down worst, we don't even have any deer here, stay away.

Quick Reply: What is the worst deer hunting state?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.