Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Butcher fast or hang???

Old 05-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Butcher fast or hang???

I hang mine anywhere from overnight if it's above 55 degrees to 8-9 days if the temps are 34-38. I hang in my garage most of the time and can regulate the temp by opening the door at night and closing during the day or vica-versa. I leave the skin on and once it's cooled, (even with gallon frozen jugs) the hide holds in and helps regulate the temps. Keeps the deer cold while the outside air warms, by the time the deer starts to warm the temps are dropping. I also moniter a thermometer twice daily.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

After I get it out of the woods, I hang it, skin it, and cut it up. I put the cut up meat in an ice chest for a couple days, or whenever I can get to it. Five or six days max for me.The meat tastes just fine. I tenderize the meat I will use to fry or smother before I freeze it in vac sealed bags. I agreewith the ones saying you don't have to age venison for it to taste good. The only time I will let a deer hang overnight is if it is cold, not cool, outside and I killed the deer late evening, and I don't have to go to work the next morning.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Venison is not beef, beef has marbling and can age,venison does not have marbling and just starts to rot. Clean it and freeze it
RC
Old 05-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Butcher quick in So.Cal and Arizona...JMO
Old 05-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Redclub

Venison is not beef, beef has marbling and can age,venison does not have marbling and just starts to rot. Clean it and freeze it
RC
Aging has nothing to do with the fat. It has everything to do with enzymes which break down the fiber of the meat, making it more flavorful and tender. When a deer dies rigor mortise sets in which constricts muscles and shrinks the meat. Butcher a deer at that stage (first 24 hours) and you have tough meat. The aging process happens when the enzymes start to break down the meat and it actually relaxes.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:16 PM

I clean and let it hang until the blood drains and then butcher. One I've got the meet off it goes in the cooler and I wash excess blood off. then its put on ice.

I've never experimented with it though, that's just the way I've always done it.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

i skin my deer out and then i let it hang in either the barn or the "cave" because if its cold like 32 or below we let er hang in the barn anything above that we put in the cave a my paps place[8D]
Old 05-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

IMO this is a poll that can't be answered as a definate. I feel that it the weather is cool (not freezing or not warm), then hanging for about 3 days is great. Otherwise I won't let it hang more than 12 hours if its hot or below freezing.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

I come from 4 generations of butchers and I let them hang or put in cooler if to warm i think this poll is flawed also ,cooler and let it hang does the same thing .

Let them hang and eat them rare!!

Shane
Old 05-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Fl.you best skin as quick as you can and either git it into a cooler or freezer.If not you'll share it with the flys.

Quick Reply: Butcher fast or hang???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.