HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Ammo Shortage (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/294205-ammo-shortage.html)

tmontgo1 05-16-2009 07:06 AM

Ammo Shortage

I know here in West Virginia somes of the stores have put limits on only buying a few boxes of ammo at a time cause they cant get it in, and it seems like all of them are having trouble getting reloading supplies. When I went to my gunsmith to get some powder to reload my hunting loads he told me he ordered 150 pounds of powder and only 70 pounds actually came in and all the other stores had the same story. Anyone else in other states seeing this problem.

sjsfire 05-16-2009 08:18 AM

RE: Ammo Shortage

ORIGINAL: tmontgo1

I know here in West Virginia somes of the stores have put limits on only buying a few boxes of ammo at a time cause they cant get it in, and it seems like all of them are having trouble getting reloading supplies. When I went to my gunsmith to get some powder to reload my hunting loads he told me he ordered 150 pounds of powder and only 70 pounds actually came in and all the other stores had the same story. Anyone else in other states seeing this problem.
Only since that SOB Obama got in office.

marquismarc 05-16-2009 08:36 AM

I have not tried to buy any hunting rounds lately but couple weeks ago I was looking for 9mm and .380 rounds and never found any, I went to 4 stores and they all said they have been trying to get amo in but just cant get any. I found one guy that had .380 rounds but due to the amo shortage he would only sell them with the purchase of a gun and he was paying $40+ dollars for a box of 50.

lifesadrag 05-16-2009 11:08 AM

The suppliers can't keep up with demand due to the Obama firearm industry stimulus plan!;)

Mr. Conservatism 05-16-2009 11:41 AM

ORIGINAL: lifesadrag

The suppliers can't keep up with demand due to the Obama firearm industry stimulus plan!;)
That's one ugly avatar you got there lifesadrag!:D

Here in New York State, ammo has tightened up too. Shotgun ammo seems more available than others. There is rifle ammo but it is in somewhat limited supply. Pistol ammo is downright scarce. I haven't tried to buy reloading supplies lately, butI hear they are tight too.

The prices of everything has gone up. I suspect people are afraid the liberals are going to make ammo acquisition more difficult. Hence there is a lot of hoarding going on. The dems are against us but we are hurting ourselves too.

Another thing I am noticing: There are very few used guns appearing in the local want ads for sale. Usually, in hard economic times you see more guns for sale.....but not this time. I think people are afraid of potential restrictions that might be enacted, so they are holding on to what they already own.

whitetail_fanatic 05-16-2009 12:30 PM

Iv got to were every time I go in Wal-mart if they have a box of a caliber I own I atleast get 1 box, even I already have 2 or 3.

tmontgo1 05-16-2009 06:49 PM

ORIGINAL: whitetail_fanatic

Iv got to were every time I go in Wal-mart if they have a box of a caliber I own I atleast get 1 box, even I already have 2 or 3.
I like this idea and wish a could but while heading home from college last week I stopped at 4 wally worlds and all of them were almost completely sold out of projectiles and powder.

oldreloader 05-16-2009 07:45 PM

Its the same here in Arkansas.I use 165 gr nosler bullets in my '06.There are none here locally.I checked Midway USA, Midsouth Shooters Supply and Natchez Shooters Supply.Natchez was the ONLY one that had them in stock. The others were on backorder.

TRACKER 05-16-2009 08:08 PM

Same here, its hard to find and very pricy compared to a couple years ago .

superstrutter 05-16-2009 08:09 PM

Plenty of ammo down here. I guess the paranoia hasn't gotten down this far south yet. When I went to Tenn. turkey hunting this Spring, I stopped at a Walmart to get a license. There were several guys in front of me buying what ammo they could. That is the first time I had seen the panic. This Walmart had very little handgun orrifle ammo. I don't buy my ammo at Walmart anyway. They don't carry what I shoot, in shotgun or rifle.All the sporting goods stores in my area have plenty of rifle ammo though. I have plenty of rifle ammo to last me a long time. Yes, I jumped on the paranoia bandwagon after Obama was elected and bought several boxes of .270 WSM. I jumped the gun just like millions of others did.Just remember, consumer panic leads to higher demand and lower supply, which leads to higher prices. Add to the fact that ammo has increased by 40% in the last two years due to a shortage of resources:eek:. This was well before Obama was elected. Now Obama is causing the ammo panic of 2009. We don't even know if the new excise tax will even pass in Congress. It probably will if Al Franken is elected to Senate. This would allow no Republican fillibusters. The Democrats would have totalcontrol. God knows what would happen to the price of guns and ammo then.