Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded? >

In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

Old 05-14-2009, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

ORIGINAL: Robv2007

Wow, you can tell most people on here don't hunt heavily pressured and hunted areas. We've put 5 guys on 40 acres almost every year and haven't had too much of a problem. If Wisconsin is anything like MI during gun season it is a warzone out there with hunters covering every square inch of land. The deer are gonna be staying in the thick stuff and running around like crazy. I think it can be done no problem as long as people aren't walking around much.

Agree 100%. I am shocked at the amount of people saying 2 people per 80 max. And then that they still feel crowded. Amazing. Seems to me that they are more blessed than I am. Anyways I am agreeing with the fact that 6 is too much. There is no way in god's earth that 4 is too much in this state. Again, there are 650,000 hunters in Wisconsin for a 9 day season. Most only hunt the first weekend. Thereis not enough huntable acres in the state of Wisconsin to give every hunter 40 acres with almost 3/4 of a million people in the woods at the same time. The math just doesn't add up.

FWIW, I used to hunt a 10 acre property with another guy and didn't feel crowded. We saw and harvested deer everyyear.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

After reading this thread I have learned that hunting is far different for many areas of the country. Here in the northeast even when on public lands I don't usually see many other hunters. I guess it is just what you are used to.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:11 AM
Typical Buck

It really depends on what you want to do. In my pic below, I have 40 acres, 5 hunters and everyone spread apart. Its shotgun only here so that changes things a little. Anyways, 5 hunters, 6 deer opening week. Every one had fun, seen deer and had shots. My brother and his 2 friends are from maine so they couldn't believe all the deer they saw. Anyways, 6 guys on 80 acres sounds like a fun hunt to me, i would go with it. Just make sure all your guest know your rules and it will be a fun time.

Oh well, my pic is to big to load. Good luck
Old 05-14-2009, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't even wrap my mind around it. 25,000 acres of private land and 12 hunters tops...all private. I think thats too many.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

13 acres per person, assuming folks are somewhat evening spaced. That's actually quite a bit of ground if you ever spend any amount of time hunting a plot of that size. Lot's of times hunters think they are covering a hell of a lot of ground, especially if it is hilly with a lot of cover,and it turns out that they have pretty much been within an area the size of a football field.

I guess it would depend. During Fall bowhunting when there is so much brush that your individual hunting zone may be measured in feet instead of yards, I would not see much problem with it, other than the fact that a running wounded deer may cause trouble for the other hunters. Dunno about being in that close of proximity to folks with rifles, though. Of course, my frame of reference is southern Illinois where it is pretty commong to have several people hunting relatively small pieces of ground with little or no problems.

Would you really have all six people there at the same time. Maybe for opening weekend. If so, there could be some sort of arrangement where some folks hunt mornings and others evenings. The rest of the time, I would think that fewer people would show up at the same time to hunt.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

90% of the deer are on 10% of the land so out of that 80 acres a small percentage are good spots, and they would be close to each other. How many trails are cutting through that area. Where's the bedding area. Food sources, etc. Is there a field which would also cut down on good area.

The math just doesn't add up.
sure it does.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends what you are trying to get out of that 80 acres. If you and your buddies all want a place to hunt together then thats what it will be. If you want a place where you can move and adjust your setup then you will be limited. If five other guys will be there every time you go there it will be too many in my opinion. I prefer private spots when ever possible.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

FWIW, I used to hunt a 10 acre property with another guy and didn't feel crowded.
Must not like to be able to change your set up too much.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: LKNCHOPPERS

It depends what you are trying to get out of that 80 acres. If you and your buddies all want a place to hunt together then thats what it will be. If you want a place where you can move and adjust your setup then you will be limited. If five other guys will be there every time you go there it will be too many in my opinion. I prefer private spots when ever possible.
This is exactly what your going to get with 6 guys but I have seen it done but with that swamp not being on your land it will be harder.

In wisconsin up by my hunting camp we dont own land so its public. After day one i just go in the swamp and climb a tree and the pickings are amazing when the pressure is high. The deer will be in that swamp when all 6 of you are on your land.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:01 AM

thats way to many,i think 30 -40 acres per hunter jmo

Quick Reply: In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.