Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded? >

In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

Old 05-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

In my opinion, 6 guys on 80 acres is just to much. If it was 3 and you werent allowed to bring any guests than I would think you would be in good shape. I think a lot depends on the surrounding property too. If the landowners next to you have 500 acres that 2 people hunt than I think you could go to 4 if you can find runways that are going through your property. Ive hunted 3 people on 40 acres before of thick woods and it is not a great thing to do. I wouldn't worry so much about safety but with all of those people moving through such a small area you are bound to spook most of the deer out of there and leave scent everywhere. There is just too much movement with 6 people on such a small area of land. As I said before, If the property next to you is large with light hunting pressure than I feel like you can up the numbers a bit, but if you are 80 acres among many other 60 to 100 acre lots which have 2 to 3 gun hunters on each of them, I think your not going to see very many deer and your neighbors may be a little upset with you having that many people on one lot. I know if I had a neighbor that had 6 guys and all are trying to shoot bucks on a 80 acre lot I'd bea little upset. Stick with the original 3 and maybe have3 guest that rotate 1 day on and 2 days off, then I think you will all be happy. Just my opinion.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

way too much
Old 05-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: hallj86

What is the surrounding land like? Is it fields woods swamp?

To the east is a large lowland wooded swamp. Not hunted. To the west and south appears to be much as the same as this land. Not sure if it is hunted. North is farm field.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I honestly think that 2 hunters on 80 acres is one too many. 80 Acres is only 622 yards X 622 yards. That is not much land at all for three hunters much less 6. With three of you already hunting it I would not allow any guests on 80 acres.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

My land is around 90 acres. I usually hunt it by myself and occasionally have a guest and I can tell exactly when somebody else is in there with me. I cant imagine having over 2 people maybe 3 absolute max on it. This is wooded, brushy, logged mountain property.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are many variables. But if things are really ideal, with guys spread on the edges, it can be done.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW, that would be WAAAAYYY to much pressure and hunters/per acre! [:-]TWO hunters on a lil' 80 acre tract would be plenty.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, you can tell most people on here don't hunt heavily pressured and hunted areas. We've put 5 guys on 40 acres almost every year and haven't had too much of a problem. If Wisconsin is anything like MI during gun season it is a warzone out there with hunters covering every square inch of land. The deer are gonna be staying in the thick stuff and running around like crazy. I think it can be done no problem as long as people aren't walking around much.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:07 AM
Spike

With 6 people hunting 80 acres you are just looking for an accident to happen!!! 100 acres per hunter is what our Fish & Game suggest for safety reasons.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Way too many people for 80 acres. The end result is your neighbors will love you because all the deer will be driven out onto their land assuming it has less pressure.

Quick Reply: In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.